Colt Forum banner

21 - 40 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
The pics attached show the pins I am talking about. I originally installed he grips with only one pin, then I used both pins. I didn’t torque down to much on the grips when tighening (sp) but they seem nice and firm. I noticed on the Cobra the grips didn’t come with this second pin

·
Registered
188 Posts
So a quick summary. The new grips for my King Cobra seem nice and solid. I am going to camp tomorrow to shoot a little bit but upon initial feel of the gun, the grips are solid. NOW my Colt CObra is another story and will have to contact VZ Grips next week. I am unsure of how well I will make out since I have had the grips for quite some time but maybe since a number of people have been having issues I will get some help from VZ.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I spoke to the VZ guys at the NRA convention at length about the problem I was having and they said they are waiting to get a King Cobra frame and rectify the fit problem. In the mean time I bought a set of Altamonts at the convention and just put them on. At first I thought I was going to have the same problem but after finally getting the frame pin that came with the grips centered everything came together. I'm happy to report though a pain to get on, the Altamonts are tight, also they look and feel great. I wish the VZs were this tight but I'm sure with their reputation they will fix the problem.

Attachments

·
Registered
382 Posts
Thanks Mag 318. Just put a set of VZs on my Cobra and used a piece of duct tape on the rear gripframe to take up a few thousands of looseness in the fit. Very difficult for a grip company to call it perfectly on frame dimensions, as frame dimensions change. Ruger SP is one example of same problem. Love the Altamonts great color and style.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Mag318, the Altamont look great. I got a set of the blue black VZ and they fit my NMKC tight, and didn’t loosen up after firing. I did snug the screw down tighter than some people like though so maybe that had a bit to do with it also.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I have exceptionally large hands and long fingers. For acceptable purchase I find myself grabbing up higher on the backstrap area than I like.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I have exceptionally large hands and long fingers. For acceptable purchase I find myself grabbing up higher on the backstrap area than I like.
That is what I have been looking for. Size XXL hands, which are falling victim to arthritis. Thanks.

For large handed owners I'd just leave the factory Hogues on, though not the best looking they are very comfortable and functional grips.
I have been looking at photos on the net, but they don't compare sizes. A few dimensions would be a big help. The factory grips work, but we always want something better. I have been considering Herrett, but will likely wait until I get a 4" King.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Indeed the Hogue grips are rather sad but they do work. That’s what are on both Colts now. Pity. The Altamont grips were really nice looking.

·
Registered
9,134 Posts
I think the Altmont and VZ stocks look great but they're too fat to be comfortable in my hand. I don't like the Hogues as they have finger grooves. What works the best for me with Colt D-frames and the new Cobra and King Cobra are Pachmayr Compacs and Presentation styles. They simply work.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Snideley how tough was it to get the Pachy Compacs on your Colt 2017 Cobra? I've always loved that grip on the DS series.

·
Registered
9,134 Posts
No problem. You have to remove the part that keeps the Hogue grips on and add a locator pin on the frame to make sure the Pachmayrs secure. I bought a locator pin off eBay for a few dollars and tapped it in place. The Pachmayrs actually seemed secure without it but I wanted to make sure. None of it was difficult by any means. The old parts for the Hogue grips I put in a baggie so they wouldn't get lost and keep them in the box for the revolver.

·
Registered
188 Posts
So I sent my VZ Grips back to VZ after I had them a year and maybe only 20 rounds through my Cobra. They refunded me the money and I placed another order. Hopefully the newer grips will fi tight. I’ll know tomorrow night

·
Registered
188 Posts
Ok so now I get the new grips for the Cobra. This set had two pins and after installing there is a little wiggle. Guess I’ll send these back and go for the Altamont

21 - 40 of 61 Posts