Colt Forum banner

41 - 60 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
So I reached out to VZ and told them the new grips also wiggled a little on my Cobra just like the initial pair. I told them at VZ that I would try them on the King Cobra. Well guess what? The wiggle is still there. The original grips I bought were the gray logo. I bought the blue logo grips for my King Cobra worked fine. Placed the blue logo grips on my Cobra and fit tight just
as on the King Cobra. The gray grips wiggle and this goes for original pair used on Cobra and the secondary pair also wiggled on both Cobra and King Cobra. I have asked VZ to refund my money and I’m going to try the Altamont grips

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
The grips you're talking about are made of wood, so why in the world do you expect them to be as precisely fitted as if they were made of metal? :confused:

Wooden grips rarely fit 100% on every gun you put them on, and this is just the nature of wood. It shrinks, it swells, and it simply cannot be machined to the same tolerances as metal. Also, guns are not as precisely made as you may think. A set of grips that fits perfectly on one gun may not fit at all on another gun.

If VZ grips fit and Altamonts don't, it's just a fluke. It will be the other way around next time you try. If you want a fool proof, no hassle fit: Buy rubber grips. If you really want wood grips: Be prepared to do some minor fitting. It's simply the nature of the beast.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
On my 2'nd King Cobra I tried the grips off the Night Cobra and they fit very tight with zero wiggle, so go figure.
Not a huge surprise, as they are made by Hogue. And since the Altamont grips fit the frame, that leaves VZ as the problem. Why, we don't know (and likely never will).

From the reports, the Altamonts are good grips, but not for us with mutton-buster hands. The Hogue overmolds with the finger grooves are a compromise for us who dislike the grooves. The Hogue grips from the Night Cobra look promising. But I don't find them for sale.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
The Night Cobra has VZ grips
I was going by the Colt website specs. Looking again, they appear to be wrong, as the grips are the same profile as the VZ.
So mag318 must have gotten lucky with the fit. I want the VZ grips, but am not willing to go through the keep returning until a set that fits process. Going to have to wait for VZ (or another maker) to get their act together.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I think the Altmont and VZ stocks look great but they're too fat to be comfortable in my hand. I don't like the Hogues as they have finger grooves. What works the best for me with Colt D-frames and the new Cobra and King Cobra are Pachmayr Compacs and Presentation styles. They simply work.
A little off track, but where did you get the replacement front sight? I'm not a fan of the issue front sight on the Cobra, that plain black is just right.

·
Registered
9,155 Posts
It's not plain black...it's the optional sight with the tritium insert. It was already on the revolver when I purchased it.

·
Registered
9,155 Posts
On my 2'nd King Cobra I tried the grips off the Night Cobra and they fit very tight with zero wiggle, so go figure.
The problem appears to be the fact that all the frames have plus and minus tolerances and all the grips being made have plus and minus tolerances as well. Some will fit perfect...some will be somewhat tight and some will be loose...just the luck of the draw from one set of grips to any particular revolver. It's not like the old days when stocks were individually fitted to the revolver at the factory.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I have purchased aftermarket grips for several handguns and have had to use layers (one at a time) of duct tape to "shim" up a loose fit on a grip/frame interface and it works great. Starting doing this 40 years ago and still do the same with grips produced in America and overseas. If you want a perfect tight fit from the getgo send the weapon to the gripmaker. Tolerances are a fact of life. Rubber grips were made popular partly because the material forgave minute inconsistencies in the fit. Other benefits were shape, adhesion and weather resistance.

·
Registered
192 Posts
So sent the grips back to BZ, they installed them on a cobra they had and experienced the same issue. Again the grips for fine on the King Cobra but NOt the cobra. Waiting awhile before I decide what to do about the grips. In the meantime. Just keeping the factory grips installed

·
Registered
241 Posts
I've done a bit of learning and experimenting regarding grips, don't know if this is in line with what others have found. The 1966 "short frame" Colt grips fit fine, however the lack of a grip pin on the bottom of the frame allows the grips to slide a bit. The grip pin hole (opened by removing the grip pin) in the upper part of the grip frame allows a grip screw to pass through, but is so wide it contributes to the looseness. I bought a D frame grip pin, set it in the frame and it lines up perfectly with the corresponding hole in the grips. For extra measure I used a plastic grommet pressed into the upper grip pin hole so that it is just slightly larger than the grip screw. No movement or slip at all. Added a BK Grip adapter and everything is solid.

IMG_0193.jpg IMG_0194.jpg

D frame 1973 grips would be an easy fit by doing the above or just shimming or epoxy inside the grip. Found a pair on line and will give those a try.

On a side note, Smith interchangeable front sights have their bottom post easily modified to fit the Colt recess and are the correct .125 width. And Ruger 10/22 trigger shims work great to keep the Colt hammer from rubbing the inside of the frame. The difference is noticeable. Just have to ensure there's enough post to hold the left side shim, and the outer diameter should be trimmed so as to not interfere with the lower part of the transfer bar, which slips over the hammer just a bit.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Same Cobra, different grips -

IMG_0205.jpg IMG_0206.jpg IMG_0207.jpg

They're post 1973 factory grips, pretty good wood. They fit the frame perfectly, however the lack of of a grip pin had to be solved. Numrich has the D frame grip pin but the body was a bit proud for the hole in the frame. Dressed it down just a tad and it's fine. I used a plastic insert in the screw hole as a 3rd point of securing, preventing any slippage. Not really needed.

·
Registered
9,155 Posts
Look on eBay...grip pins are usually there to be found. I don't know whether Colt used the same grip pins for all models so make sure you look for a D-frame pin.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Look on eBay...grip pins are usually there to be found. I don't know whether Colt used the same grip pins for all models so make sure you look for a D-frame pin.
EBay carries some, but they list as for the Python and are asking $19.95. Ouch. Colt grip pins come in different sizes, for what reason I don't know. The Courier is a close fit but the tips are narrower than the holes in the grips. The pin that comes with the gun has to be turned down to fit too. Tips are narrow but a drop of epoxy cures that.

·
Registered
9,155 Posts
I picked up a couple of D-frame pins from eBay for about $7.00 each a couple of months ago. I guess timing is everything.

Gotta agree about the different sizes...you would think they would standardize one size...cuts costs and makes inventory easier. Maybe the larger frame revolvers might have a thicker grip frame and require a longer pin but each frame having a different size doesn't made a lot of sense.

41 - 60 of 61 Posts