Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anybody tell me what I have here? I thought it was a Det Special, but the serial number puts it at 1926. I need grips for it. Is it a Police Positive Special... Any help would be greatly appreciated. HAPPY TO BE A NEW MEMBER!

·
Registered
813 Posts
Welcome to the forum.You may want to move/repost this thread to the Revolver section where you are likely to get more responses. The gun is definitely a Police Positive Special. The bigger question is whether the barrel length is original to the gun. Colt produced a very limited number of 2 inch PPS models. These guns were the predecessor of the Detective Special and are often referred to as the "Pre-Detective". They are highly collectible regardless of condition.The serial number of your gun appears a bit early for a 2 inch PPS, however it is close enough to warrant consideration. One characteristic of the 2 inch gun is that the left side of the barrel is marked simply "38 Special" with no other marking. A re-barreled or cut down gun would have different markings. From your photo, it is impossible to tell. If you could post clearer pics with a close up of the barrel, we should be able to tell you exactly what you have.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Check out Lot # 1788 in the upcoming September Rock Island Auction. There is a lettered 2" Nickel PPS, 8K numbers lower (312xxx) than the one pictured here. ---It will give you an idea what to look for.

( Maybe someone more computer savvy than me can post the link to this item )

·
Registered
813 Posts
The grips in the auction are for a Police Positive, not a Police Positive SPECIAL. they will be too small for your gun.

I think the grips in the Ebay link might actually work. A PPS in the 31 serial prefix range should still have the narrow grip frame. It is hard to tell from the pic posted, especially where the gun is without grips.

·
Premium Member
9,740 Posts
You have a standard 2-inch Police Positive Special. They are marked as noted. The word "Colt" does not appear on the gun itself, other than on the logo on the stocks. There are narrow butt and wide butt versions. Most letter as shipped in 1926 and 1927, before the adoption of the "Detective Special" name. These scarce guns have been discussed at length here many times. A1A could provide several links, but you can probably find them as well with a search.

(Apologies to anyone offended by my "delivery.")

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You have a standard 2-inch Police Positive Special. They are marked as noted. The word "Colt" does not appear on the gun itself, other than on the logo on the stocks. There are narrow butt and wide butt versions. Most letter as shipped in 1926 and 1927, before the adoption of the "Detective Special" name. These scarce guns have been discussed at length here many times. A1A could provide several links, but you can probably find them as well with a search.

Thank you, JudgeColt. Do you know where I can source grips?

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Does the "38 SPECIAL" marking on your revolver look exactly like the one in the RIA Auction picture, or do the letters appear smaller?

The reason I ask is because longer barreled Police Positive Specials of that vintage were marked "Police (over) Positive (with a large P for both words) 38 Special." The "38 Special" was in a smaller font than that used on the 2" guns. If the barrel were shortened, it would still say "38 Special", but might have some traces of lettering ahead of that or on the top of the barrel, where the patent dates were. Genuine 2" Police Positive Specials had no markings whatsoever on the barrel other than the "38 SPECIAL" in the font and size as shown in the RIA picture.

Also, note the length of the ejector rod on the 320xxx revolver as compared to the one on the RIA gun. It appears to be as long as the barrel, while on a genuine 2" Police Positive Special the tip should be about even with the "S" in "SPECIAL.

As mentioned, good, clear photos of the left side marking and top of the barrel would help address these concerns.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Does the "38 SPECIAL" marking on your revolver look exactly like the one in the RIA Auction picture, or do the letters appear smaller. The reason I ask is because longer barreled Police Positive Specials of that vintage were marked "Police (over) Positive (with a large P for both words) 38 Special." The "38 Special" was in a smaller font than that used on the 2" guns. If the barrel were shortened, it would still say "38 Special", but might have some traces of lettering ahead of that or on the top of the barrel, where the patent dates were. Genuine 2" Police Positive Specials had no markings whatsoever on the barrel other than the "38 SPECIAL" in the font and size as shown in the RIA picture.

Also, note the length of the ejector rod on the 320xxx revolver as compared to the one on the RIA gun. It appears to be as long as the barrel, while on a genuine 2" Police Positive Special the tip should be about even with the "S" in "SPECIAL.
Exactly! I would have to agree. That is why I asked for better pictures of the barrel before pronouncing the gun a 2-inch PPS (Pre-detective). I have a cut down PPS which still retains the "38 Special" marking.

Here is a correct 2-inch PPS barrel for reference:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm in my travels at the moment. DID get a picture of the side of the barrel. Is DOES say "38 Special" (I'm an idiot who shouldn't make claims without the object in hand). But there are markings on the top of the barrel that it looks like the sight was "placed" right above. I'll get better pics and measurements.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I'm in my travels at the moment. DID get a picture of the side of the barrel. Is DOES say "38 Special" (I'm an idiot who shouldn't make claims without the object in hand). But there are markings on the top of the barrel that it looks like the sight was "placed" right above. I'll get better pics and measurements.
Congerz83:

BigRix is correct, the gun is definitely a cut-down Police Positive Special which started life in some other barrel length. I was really hoping it was an original 2-inch gun. That is the bad news. The good news is that you have a nice shooter in the highly desirable 38 special caliber. That's for sharing it with the forum!

·
Premium Member
9,740 Posts
Caught again! I assumed that the reference to "38 SPECIAL" indicated a "Pre-Detective Special." I never thought about a cut-down barrel having the same word and number. Did I just imagine that the barrel's only marking was said to be "38 SPECIAL?"

Clearly, the subject gun is not an original 2-inch Police Positive Special. Sorry for the error.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.