Colt Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up one of these polymer framed 380s at a local show. Fits my hand like a glove and even has ambi-safety. Can't wait to get it to the range. Anyone else have this tiny gun? How to you like yours?

·
Registered
110 Posts
I don't have one of them, but I do have a Gov't. Model .380 from about 1983 or 84. Fine gun to be sure, shoots great, and never a hiccup. I have not seen any of the new ones yet, but if they are half the gun that the older models are, you will love it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just curious if anyone knows if Colt makes the polymer frame or buys it from outside vendor.
I would be surprised if Colt makes it in-house. Molded plastic isn't something one just decides to do. In addition to the cost of tooling and machines, there is a lot of knowledge required.

Although I was pretty good with the Creepy Crawler Thing Maker right from the get-go!:cool:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Please report back after you've had a chance to test drive it. I would like to know the impressions of someone who owns one instead of reading the same-old, same-old from the gun rags. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I handled one at my LGS. I was really dissappointed in the fit and finish of the polymer portion of this gun - I know this is an oxymoron but the plastic part looked really cheap to me. Hope it fires better than it looks.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
Quick, someone post some pictutes of this.

·
Registered
495 Posts
I've seen that pistol and really like it. Only thing that concerns me is it's a single-action and has only the slide safety. Even the owner's manual warns against carrying it cocked, with a round in the chamber, because of that safety issue. So you have to wonder: what's the use in carrying around a pocket gun that's not ready when you need it. On the other hand the safest .380 is probably the new Glock 42, but like its brothers it has all the elegance of a brick with a handle.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I am not sure why Colt made a polymer Mustang.
If their published specs are correct the all metal Mustang weighs 12.5 oz and the new Polymer Mustang weighs 11.8 oz. But it seems unlikely that the polymer model only weighs 0.7 oz less than the all metal version.

http://www.coltsmfg.com/Catalog/ColtPistols/Colt380Mustang®.aspx

MODELO6891O6790
BARREL LENGTH (IN.)2.752.75
CALIBER.380.380
MAGAZINE CAPACITY66
RECEIVER MATERIALALPY
RECEIVER FINISHELNN/A
SLIDE MATERIALSTSSTS
SLIDE FINISHBRDLC
SIGHTSHPHP
HAMMERCMCM
TRIGGERSS
SAFETY LOCKSDAM
GRIP SAFETYN/AN/A
STOCKSCON/A
EJECTION PORTLL
ACTIONSASA
FIRING SYSTEM8080
OVERALL LENGTH (IN.)5.55.5
APPROX. WEIGHT (OZ.)

·
Registered
541 Posts
I've seen that pistol and really like it. Only thing that concerns me is it's a single-action and has only the slide safety. Even the owner's manual warns against carrying it cocked, with a round in the chamber, because of that safety issue.
Colt says the Mustang Pocketlite and XSP has a firing pin safety block as well as the slide safety so carrying it in condition one shouldn't be a problem. My Sig 938 9mm, and the Sig 238 .380 I had before, both had the same set of safeties and I always carried them in condition one.

·
Premium Member
21,368 Posts
Firearm Gun Trigger Gun accessory Gun barrel
Firearm Gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

Copyright 2013 by Colt's Manufacturing Company LLC

·
Registered
495 Posts
Colt says the Mustang Pocketlite and XSP has a firing pin safety block as well as the slide safety so carrying it in condition one shouldn't be a problem. My Sig 938 9mm, and the Sig 238 .380 I had before, both had the same set of safeties and I always carried them in condition one.
I'm not so concerned about dropping the piece (firing pin safety block) as about having it in my pocket, cocked and loaded, with the only thing between me and disaster that simple thumb safety. Since this gun is clearly modeled on the 1911, why not go all the way and provide a grip safety?

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
I think it was an answer to a question nobody asked. It offers nothing that the alloy version ,that I have , does not. Any upgrades like ambi safety and sights could be offered on the alloy version. It is hardly cheaper. it would have made sense to offer it in da , or better yet to not have tied up production ,and offer a full size government 380, that Colt states they cannot . Another scratch your head. decision by Colt/ They may have done better to bring back the Colt 22. From what I have seen from their offerings at the SHOT SHOW , no new offerings of consequence in 2014. Somewhere over the rainbow just keeps on playing

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'll pick it up later in the week (Illinois has a MEANINGLESS waiting period). Since I shoot lefty and the mustang doesn't have an ambi-safety available this one was particularly appealing to me. Besides, I also liked the no frills businesslike look of the small gun.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I agree, Colt SHOULD offer it. But they don't. At least not yet. Didn't know Cylinder and Slide did!
And I'm not willing to wait to see if Colt EVER gets around to it. Look how long we've been waiting for a new DA revolver that still might NEVER appear.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Picked the wee beast up yesterday. Can't wait to put some ammunition through it. Dispite it's small size and my large hands it fits me well. This thing is tiny. Approximately 5 1/2 inches from beavertail to muzzle, and under 4 inches top to bottom. All the controls are in the right places and as I said include the ambi safety. Since I shoot lefty that was a selling point for me. The grip frame has just enough moulded in "thingys" to make it feel very secure in my hand. The safety falls exactly where it should under my thumb and "snicks" off with a comforting click. Magazines eject completely free from the frame with no annoying tendency to hang up. It has a nice matte black finish with the controls being a grey color. I'll post a range report when I'm able to get to the range. Old man winter has conspired to prevent that for the last couple of weeks. I just don't shoot well in cold winter weather.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm not so concerned about dropping the piece (firing pin safety block) as about having it in my pocket, cocked and loaded, with the only thing between me and disaster that simple thumb safety. Since this gun is clearly modeled on the 1911, why not go all the way and provide a grip safety?
Well that - plus pulling the trigger. It isn't going to go off by itself, right?

I have never understood those who would not carry an autofeeder cocked and locked yet carry a revolver every day?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.