Colt Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New Colt 9mm AR-15\'s

A month or two ago brand new Colt made AR-15 style rifles started showing up. First new bunch in quite a while I think. Two questions. First, who made the magazines and can you buy more? Second, these guns work ok?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Re: New Colt 9mm AR-15\'s

i was able to visit the colt factory last week. from what i was told, the only ar's currently being produced are for military contracts. they didn't know when production of rifles for law enforcement and civilan sales would begin again.

·
Administrator
7,302 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
i was able to visit the colt factory last week. from what i was told, the only ar's currently being produced are for military contracts. they didn't know when production of rifles for law enforcement and civilan sales would begin again.

[/ QUOTE ]

They must have started shipping a few . I bought 6 LE carbines about 10 days ago from 2 different distributors . They are very tough to aquire though . It'd been 8 months since our last shipment .

·
Registered
324 Posts

The Colt magazines are the best for function but they're pricey.
Uzi-style mags will work, some better than others.
Most of the plastic mags are not worth the money.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts

A few years back I was able to fire one of the full outo versions of the 9mm carbine. About as much fun as a person can have....standing up!

·
Registered
22 Posts

I've owned many AR's of different brands, but the only ones I seem to hold on to are the Colts. I can't really say they are "better" than other brands, but I just like them.

The one Colt AR I absolutely HATE is the 9mm carbines. Back during the federal AWB, I got a letter from my Chief to purchase a 9mm Colt AR for "training purposes", since we carried .223 AR's in our cruisers. I convinced him that having a 9mm, since I cast my own bullets and reload, would be inexpensive practice. He agreed and wrote the letter for me.

I tried every 9mm load and bullet style you can think of and it would not feed anything reliably. Cast bullet reloads would feed OK, but not well enough to even enjoy shooting it. JHP's? Forget it. I tried everything from 115gr to 147gr and none of them would feed at all. FMJ ammo would feed, usually, if the bolt was literally dripping wet with oil.

I had three factory 32 round mags and 15 different converted Uzi mags, both 25 and 32 round. I tried new mag springs. That didn't help.

Since then, I've had the opportunity to shoot a friend's Olympic 9mm AR. That eats up any ammo you feed it without a problem. After trying that, I picked up an Oly .45acp upper to use with my Colt lowers. There's an extensive thread with all the different loads I've tried with it here if anyone is interested:

http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=15&t=297227

Anyway, I would avoid the Colt 9mm AR's. From what I've experienced, Olympic is the way to go for a pistol caliber upper.

Another plus is the magazine issue. Forget about the expensive Uzi or Colt mags. Just get a SOCOM magwell adapter (it turns your AR into a paddle (AK type) mag release. It slips into the magwell and is held in place by the factory .223 mag catch. This way, you can use unmodified STEN mags. These go for only $4 each. I even use them for my .45acp's by opening up the feed lips a little and use a 185gr bullet to shorten the OAL. They work great, but are a little tough on the thumb to load!

·
Registered
14 Posts

[ QUOTE ]
Hawgleg44
I tried every 9mm load and bullet style you can think of and it would not feed anything reliably.

[/ QUOTE ]

My 6450 works great. Factory ammo, reloads, FMJ, HP..No FTFs or FTEs. Very reliable gun like my Glock 17.

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
22 Posts

I guess it's like anything else. A gun is a machine. Sometimes, machines work flawlessly. Sometimes, they are lemons, even if one came right after the other on the assembly line. But, after getting bit once by the Colt 9mm, I'm going to stick with Olympic Arms for my pistol caliber uppers.

·
Registered
324 Posts

Mine also feeds anything I've ever run through it.
Really likes that inexpensive Winchester White Box Target/Practice....something like that?
You must've had a lemon!

·
Registered
22 Posts

If the bolt was dripping wet, it would feed the WWB economy 9mm's, too. But, for the amount that I shoot, I can't even afford to buy that stuff. I cast and reload everything. If it won't feed my cast reloads, it's useless to me. My Oly .45acp likes them. For now, I just keep on using my 9mm Marlin Camp Carbine. Since I'm a S&W fan anyway, I have 40 mags for it already between my 59xx and 69xx series, so that is a huge savings, too.

I'd like to pick up a 9mm and .40 upper sometime. .40 first, since I have the Marlin to use on the indoor range all winter. The nice thing about the .40 is that I can use slightly modified STEN mags (just spread the feed lips slightly), so mag cost is almost nothing. At $4 each, max, those are my favorite mags to buy!

·
Registered
6 Posts

My Colt 6450 works great too. Bought some synthetic 32-rd mags from Midway that work as well as the factory 32's-hold bolt open too. The aftermarket steel mags aren't worth a nickle though. The UZI-type mags aren't worth a dime. I am very pleased with my Colt 6450, but if someone wants to give me $1500 for it, I'd let it go.....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts