Colt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...deciding what to buy next.

I got my first Colt, a Combat Elite XSE in December. That seems like so long ago. I only love it more each time I shoot it.

I'm ready for another 1911 pistol and it's going to be another Colt. I have a few options:
  • Used Combat Commander - 899.00, holster wear but good condition, except for the white paint on the sights.
  • Used Mark IV Combat Government - 800.00, have not actually held this one yet but will tomorrow. Pictures make it look pretty good and a phone conversation described it as not shot much.
  • New M1991A1 Government Model, 749.00.
My search started for a Combat Commander, but I've encountered these two others, particularly the Mark IV. Pretty Slick gun. And a hundred bucks cheaper than the Commander.

Also, this is going to be a gun that I enhance over time e.g. new finish, new sights, combat tune, bobtail, etc. When all is said and done it will be my custom Colt.

I have no problem carrying a Govt. Model and do it every day so that is not really a factor in my decision.

So your opinions and advice are appreciated.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I vote Combat Commander too, I really enjoy my lightweight Commander from the 70's. I use it for qualifying for my CCW here in Arizona. Very accurate.

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
The commander is the goldielocks of 1911 pattern pistols. Not too big not too small it's "Just Right"

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
I vote for the Combat Commander.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Given the choices and all things being equal I would also favor the Combat Commander..

·
Premium Member
5,813 Posts
For mostly shooting-combat govt. model. Extra slide weight and sight radius help alot. You didn't say if it was series 70 or 80. Great fixed sights with undercut front, improved ejecton port, front grip serrations, beveled magazine well. It may come with the Colt/pachmayr rubber stocks that fit myself great. Basically a Gold Cup with fixed sights and as is its a great steel plate plinker. You may not need any refinements as Colt supplied what customers wanted. A series 70 gun brings better resale than a series 80.

For mostly carrying-commander. The weight difference between a combat commander and commander is very noticable especially when carrying and shooting.

just my .02

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well I ended up buying the new M1991A1 Govt. The seller of the Govt combat was just a jerk and I couldn't give him my money. The commander was just too much for the condition. So the commander remains on my wish list. Hope to pick up a new one before end of year. Just need to keep my eyes open because they are scarce around here right now.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Now for that revolver that Colt made

... Words of caution for you- once bitten this addiction spreads quickly to all things Colt flanman

·
Registered
24 Posts
I refer to my Colt addition as my "collection".

At last count I have more than a dozen Colt pistols and revolvers of which most are in stainless dress. Like I heard many times before......."If it's not a genuine Colt, it's a Colt copy." And, when I die, I want to be buried with my nickel Python and my Gold Cup National Match in bright stainless by TALO. And, if my family doesn't respect my wishes, I'll come back and haunt them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts