Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Curious to hear from anyone who has purchased or test fired one of the newer design Cobra revolvers.

The ones I handled...not shot, at a couple of gun shops have had good triggers. Good for defensive work anyway.

·
Registered
9,298 Posts
Reviews have been very positive but there have been a very few reports of some quality control issues here and there. They were mostly early on...maybe trying to get them together and shipped too quickly but that's just a guess.

The most negative thing I can say about them is the rubber Hogue stocks...I don't like finger-groove grips and they don't fit my hand. The wood stocks on the Ultimate finish Cobra don't fit my hand either. Those are minor and aren't reflective of the revolvers themselves...Colt didn't ask me for my input on the subject...they're building them for the majority of potential buyers and not someone with my hand size.

Reactions: webley455

·
Premium Member
245 Posts
I'm quite happy with the "new" Cobra I purchased a couple of months ago. The trigger as you said is very good. The fiber optic front sight, something I wasn't too crazy about at first...well it just jumps out at me when shooting. Very easy for my old eyes to pick up. I'm sold on it now. I'm in the minority I suppose, but I like the Hogue grip. I haven't shot it a lot, but I've shot it enough to say I think it shoots pretty well. My HKS speedloaders for a K-frame Smith and Wesson work perfectly, and I was able to find an old Bianchi Accu-Mold holster in my bag of old holsters that fits just fine, so the Cobra has become my EDC.

That's pretty high praise from a die-hard Smith and Wesson guy. :)

·
Registered
280 Posts
I bought a Cobra a year ago. Have done no work on it, other than oiling. The trigger is smooth and needs no work. Colt hit a home run with this gun. Some don't like the rubber Hogue grips, but they are good enough for my gorilla paws. For speedloaders, the HKS DS is recommended. It's a good pocket gun, if you have big pockets.

·
Premium Member
933 Posts
I recently picked up a Night Cobra. At this point, it's all been dry fire and I find the trigger to be excellent. One thing I didn't realize until I got home was with the factory bobbed hammer DAO setup, there's no way to thumb cock it to single action. The guts are true DAO. Fine with me, as that's the intent. I just figured it had the same DA/SA action as the others with a bobbed hammer. Nope. Also, you need to fully run the trigger - it's fairly simple to short stroke it.

·
Premium Member
1,869 Posts
I have both the colt cobra and the new 4.25” King Cobra Target. Really like them both but prefer the Target. Great balance and trigger and wood stocks. Highly recommended. Added a few different stocks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have both the cobra and King Cobra. Waiting for a few extra bucks to purchase the target model. I bought VZ grips for the cobra and King Cobra but couldn’t get the grips to fit good on the King Cobra. Sent the grips back to VZ and they had the same issue with their King Cobra. Bought Altamont grips for the King Cobra and they were lose. I’ll wait for now on the grips for the King Cobra but overall like both guns, just chomping at the bit for the funds to purchase a Target model. I have about 1K in Cabelas gift cards and asked Cabelas to procure one for me, they said the price is about 1100. I will wait as I can use those gift cards for x-mas presents this year.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi All, I am also interested on the opinions on Cobra. I am not really revolver guy and do not know much about them, but they do appeal to me. I struggled with the urge for awhile, but picked the new gen cobra few days ago at a decent price I think from very nice gentleman. I like the aesthetics of this revolver and I like the fact it's made out of stainless steel. What I do not like are MIM process leftovers on the trigger and hammer, as well as some tool marks (barrel treads on the upper part of the frame). To be honest, i was comparing it with my old rossi revolver and did not think of the finish quality to be much better on the colt. But maybe I am wrong. I also shot it with some target federal ammo as well as with some defensive JHP ammo and it does shoot well and more accurate than me. Trigger in single action is excellent. In DA, while I can shoot it accurately, I still have a lot to learn to enjoy it I guess.
I carried this gun in IWB crossbreed and it caries very well. I just struggling to justify to carry it over G19 due to similar weight dimensions, but much less capacity at equal or less caliber performance, and (for me) still a bit less shootability.

·
Registered
9,298 Posts
How can you not like revolvers? :confused: Just kidding...welcome to them. Some may think revolvers are old fashioned but I think they're about as obsolete as tomorrow.

As far as the difference regarding all forged vs. MIM parts I believe it's much overblown. There are good forgings and bad forgings...good MIM and bad MIM. It all comes down to specifications and quality control. I believe Colt sticks to the upper reaches of quality whether it's forgings are MIM parts...not all do or are maybe more forgiving on tolerances or quality control. In todays manufacturing world MIM is now the norm unless cost is no object then the price will be correspondingly higher.

Regards finish...almost no gunmaker polishes the way they use to other than custom work. The talent and training that goes into polishing is expensive and that also translates into higher costs. The matte and satin finishes given most guns today is simply a reflection of today's market. If the buying public was demanding the old time polishing and was willing to pay for it then Colt, S&W, Ruger and the others would be providing it.

I get your point of revolver vs. Glock...but it's comparing apples to oranges. You can argue the merits of revolver vs. self-loader but the Colt Cobra should be compared to other revolvers of the same type...the Glock against other pistols of the same type. Every person has to decide for him/herself what are the pluses and minuses of each type and make handgun against its conceivability, capacity, shootability, reliability, etc. Civilians have an advantage over most law enforcement...civilians can make their own decision what to carry...most law enforcement cannot as they have to carry what the department gives them regardless of what the officers think.

Most of the years I was a LEO I carried a revolver...it wasn't until my last couple of years before we transitioned to a self-loader. I never felt underarmed with a revolver. I also didn't like the self-loader we ended up receiving...I called it the "Boat Anchor Model". I would have preferred to keep the revolver compared to it but I wasn't given a choice.

Reactions: Kraaaken

·
Registered
20 Posts
Oh, please do not get me wrong - all what I've said is purely subjective and my personal opinion only.
And I did not said I do not like revolvers - I said I am not 'real' revolver guy :) meaning I do not know enough about them.

I get it on MIM parts and generally not against them, but it would be nice if they would have removed those 'circle' marks. After all, and again this is strictly me, probably biggest reason I want this gun is aesthetics. This traditional feel of substantial gun and quality workmanship. For me revolver is more like mechanical watch - yeah your gshock can tell time more accurately and have other features built in, but it not the same.

Regarding what to carry - if i would for sure knew that i have to use the gun i would carry rifle :). I have used Glock as a 'generic' semi, since its arguably one of the most popular compacts out there. I totally agree on not comparing the two.

·
Registered
9,298 Posts
Regarding what to carry - if i would for sure knew that i have to use the gun i would carry rifle :).
It's often said you use your handgun to fight your way to get your rifle. If I knew I was about to be in a life-threatening situation I would first have a SWAT team around me...or better yet...not go to that location.

Actually...a handgun is a relatively poor tool to defend yourself with (as compared to firearms in general). We carry handguns because their inherent advantages...relatively light and concealable...reasonably powerful with good caliber and ammunition selection. We would look funny carrying a rifle, shotgun or submachine gun everywhere we went...plus the hysteria it might cause around you and the weight of it all. The fact that a handgun has such advantages is why they're so popular. A long gun may be more powerful...often easier to shoot well and accurately...but the disadvantages of size and weight make them simply impractical.

We're not all as tall as Lucas McCain carrying around a Winchester as in "The Rifleman". Plus it was all fiction.

·
Registered
20 Posts
It's often said you use your handgun to fight your way to get your rifle. If I knew I was about to be in a life-threatening situation I would first have a SWAT team around me...or better yet...not go to that location.

Actually...a handgun is a relatively poor tool to defend yourself with (as compared to firearms in general). We carry handguns because their inherent advantages...relatively light and concealable...reasonably powerful with good caliber and ammunition selection. We would look funny carrying a rifle, shotgun or submachine gun everywhere we went...plus the hysteria it might cause around you and the weight of it all. The fact that a handgun has such advantages is why they're so popular. A long gun may be more powerful...often easier to shoot well and accurately...but the disadvantages of size and weight make them simply impractical.

We're not all as tall as Lucas McCain carrying around a Winchester as in "The Rifleman". Plus it was all fiction.
Agreed

·
Registered
20 Posts
Here is another question for those who have both Cobra and King cobra - if/when you get a King cobra, do you think it makes the cobra obsolete? I mean, on the paper, King cobra has everything cobra has and more? Would there be any reason to keep the cobra? Thanks

·
Registered
9,298 Posts
The Cobra is still more practical for concealed carry...the King Cobra has a much thicker top strap and one extra weight. It's all and good if you're planning to keep it loaded with .357 rounds, but I think most will still carry .38 Specials. The King Cobra with the 3" barrel will still lose some significant advantages of the more powerful caliber...velocity loss plus the flash, blast and controllability. For field use the 4" King Cobra is fine. For open carry as opposed to concealed the .357 is ok...I just think for most the Cobra is a better choice for concealment.

I have two of the new Cobras and both a 3" and 4" King Cobra...just worked out that way. I keep Pachmayr Compacs on the Cobras and Pachmayr Presentation strips on the King Cobras...just personal preferences.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks for response - I had mixed feelings after jumping on that cobra (except I think it was at a great price) and appreciate some help with justification. Especially when reasoning is sound and comes from experienced revolver aficionados.
On other note, just took my cobra to run few rounds through it for the second time and got a question. Will put it in a new topic

1 - 20 of 21 Posts