Colt Forum banner

201 - 220 of 242 Posts

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,611 Posts
That was the first thing I noticed about the overall configuration, and my first reaction was, "Oh, why?" It looks like the gun comes pre-dropped and pre-bent. If I were to get one of these -- and I am more than just a little interested -- I would be sorely tempted to beat that unwelcome curve into a more conventionally rounded shape. I didn't like that wave much a couple of decades ago when another New England manufacturer used it as a design element on several semiautos. My cranky judgment is that trigger guards on DA and semiauto firearms had pretty much been figured out by 1908.

I don't know. At this age I have had plenty of training in willful blindness, so maybe I'd eventually stop seeing it.
The usual reason for odd bends in trigger guards is because the trigger design would leave a gap between the trigger and guard that could either pinch the finger, or cause a failure of the trigger to return.

Here's the "New England" gun referenced above. It's the Kahr series. Here's my Kahr K9. It's been my prime CCW for almost 10 years now.

View attachment 230722

Problems with Insert Image function. The picture won't appear in the post. Reported to Admin.

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
Some call it capitalism
Because that is what it is. :cool: Invisible hand and such.

My last comments on market forces. Looking forward to seeing these in person or seeing detailed pictures from someone on the forum. A sideplate off shot would be cool.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I too am pleasantly surprised at the new Cobra. I'll likely get one for a few reasons: to possibly replace the Agent I frequently carry; because I like snub revolvers; and to not miss out on the first Colt DA revolver in, how long?

(Speaking of which, when was the end of production of the last Colt DA revolver? I've been telling friends, "first production Colt revolver in twenty-plus years," but I'd be curious to know exactly how long it's been, and what was the last one in production...Anaconda or Python I suppose? And depends on whether you count Custom Shop vs. normal production, I guess.)

A couple comments:

1. All of you that said Colt would never, ever produce another DA revolver can now hit yourselves on the head with a frying pan. ;)

2. I'm honestly amazed that it was kept this secret. Here we are just a month or so from availability, and there has been almost nothing out there over the past year.

3. And finally, the question of whether to get one right away, or wait. Normally I'm not one to jump on something new right away (e.g. I'm glad I waited on the R51, for example), but this might be different. Why? Because-

-I waited on the DSII, and never got one.
-I waited on the Magnum Carry, and never got one.
-I did get a new Colt Commander in 9mm (the O4610 model) when they came out about a year ago, and from what I can tell, those are already out of production (looks like they switched to the Lightweight 'enhanced' model).

So I truly hope the new Cobra is the start of a long production run of it and variations, but their track record suggests I might want to pick one up sooner rather than later.

·
Registered
7,231 Posts
3. And finally, the question of whether to get one right away, or wait. Normally I'm not one to jump on something new right away
Please read my post #188 on page 19 of this thread.
You can depend on high demand and prices higher than MSRP for quite a while.
The firearms industry historically shows higher MSRPs than what retail prices settle into.
I wouldn't be surprised to see dealers asking $850-$900 for most of the ensuing year.

I have many guns I like. Although I plan to buy a new Cobra, I will wait until there are enough of them sold to see feedback from buyers and until the supply and prices are equitable.

I don't need any product I can think of so badly that I can't wait to see if it works well and has good retail price

·
Registered
3,117 Posts
Please read my post #188 on page 19 of this thread.
You can depend on high demand and prices higher than MSRP for quite a while.
The firearms industry historically shows higher MSRPs than what retail prices settle into.
I wouldn't be surprised to see dealers asking $850-$900 for most of the ensuing year.

I have many guns I like. Although I plan to buy a new Cobra, I will wait until there are enough of them sold to see feedback from buyers and until the supply and prices are equitable.

I don't need any product I can think of so badly that I can't wait to see if it works well and has good retail price
I went to my LGS and ask the owner if he can get me one. He looked it up and said the price would be $683.00. That was 2 days ago and I'm waiting to hear from him but I do think they will be hard to get right now. Anyway he is not going to scalp people because they are new. This gun shop is a Colt Stocking Dealer maybe that makes a difference.

·
Registered
7,231 Posts
That's great news! You have an honest dealer.
I hope to eat my words, but I still think many sellers will take advantage of the situation, at least for a while.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I think this is great news. Great enough to prompt my first post. Prices will likely be iffy for awhile around here (NE Nevada). The current Colt .380s are commonly priced a couple hundred dollars above MSRP in local shops, when any are to be found, and I expect that to carry over, at least for some time.

I will wait to see how prices stabilize, but definitely hope to have one.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I would love to have one but will like to see and confirm street price. If it's Msrp or below.. I'm all over it. Thanks Colt! Nice work!

·
Registered
45 Posts
I've seen the dealer cost and based on that number I wouldn't expect a large discount under Colt's MSRP . There's not a large margin between them .
That makes sense.. at $699 if it's a good quality pistol, I'd say thats a fair price but as a frugal shopper I'll always appreciate a deal!

·
Premium Member
5,411 Posts
I've seen the dealer cost and based on that number I wouldn't expect a large discount under Colt's MSRP . There's not a large margin between them .
I remember when the new Mustang came out, the MSRP was around $599, and most sellers were asking around $700. I would probably be happy to find a Cobra at suggested dealer price.

·
Registered
7,231 Posts
Considering that a Ruger or S&W pistol may retail at $400-$500, and Glocks and S.A.s retail in the mid $500 range, I don't think new Colt Revolver selling at $670-$699 is bad. My HKs and SIGs cost a lot more. It's a very competitive price. The Kimber revolver is more expensive and although we've not seen the Colt yet I seriously doubt it's better quality. And I really don't give a crap it's not in .357 magnum. Many poor souls have succumbed to the "old hat" .38 Special. There is no magic caliber.
I am going to step up and support this company. I don't need anymore guns but that's not my point.

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
Considering that a Ruger or S&W pistol may retail at $400-$500, and Glocks and S.A.s retail in the mid $500 range, I don't think new Colt Revolver selling at $670-$699 is bad. My HKs and SIGs cost a lot more. It's a very competitive price. The Kimber revolver is more expensive and although we've not seen the Colt yet I seriously doubt it's better quality. And I really don't give a crap it's not in .357 magnum. Many poor souls have succumbed to the "old hat" .38 Special. There is no magic caliber.
I am going to step up and support this company. I don't need anymore guns but that's not my point.
I have my sights set on getting the new Colt revolver and if I have to pay Colt's retail price, that is fine with me. The pricing is well within range of, or less than others. I like the way "Malysh" stated this fact!!!!

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Lets hope its quicker then Kimber. The shop I work at has had K6's on Backorder since they released them. Finally received one this week.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Whats the real guesstimated availability??:)
One of my semi-local dealers called me yesterday to see if I wanted to pre-order from them. They were expecting them to arrive in late March.
They were also selling them for well in excess of the MSRP. I passed for now, until they're more available.

201 - 220 of 242 Posts