Colt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 191 Posts

·
Registered
5,172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
People shouldn't just do a price comparison. Taurus used to make a stainless, snubbie .38, I had one. They were about $200 in the early 1990s, when a Detective Special was about $500. A S&W was a little lower I'm recalling, maybe $450. Then there were the really cheapies, like Charter Arms and Harrington and Richardson. Look at an old Guns Digest from 1985 or so. Colts and Smith and Wessons were always the best quality American guns, and their prices showed it. Today should be no different. If Colt made a revolver with aluminum alloy frame, or a anodized pink cylinder like another company used to, or "tacticool" allen head screws....and all for 60% of this MSRP.....I'd not be interested.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,661 Posts
On another review there was a schematic of the internal action.

It appears to BE a Colt "SF" frame as used on the SF-VI, DS-II, and Magnum Carry.
The only apparent difference is the shape of the grip frame has been changed to what appears to be a slightly longer rounded butt, with a back strap more like the Mark III revolvers.
The Mark III back strap shape was more like a S&W and solved the Colt tendency to roll upward in the hand.

The shape of the trigger and trigger guard are different. The trigger guard has an odd shape I don't like, but obviously Colt designed it for a reason.
According to Colt the trigger geometry is different to give an even better trigger then the "SF" frame.

The fiber optic front sight is held in with a set screw, so that means different sights can be installed, including no doubt a night sight someone will offer.

I suspect that Colt has a winner here.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I joined this forum primarily so I could follow the new revolver. I have a 60 year old Dural Cobra in my safe right now. It was my dads when he was a deputy Constable in Dade County Florida (Miami). Even though it was his carry piece and I watched him shoot it probably every week, it still has all of its blue and functions perfectly. When he passed it moved in with me. I have shot it only a few times in his honor. I will enjoy getting one of these to carry in the future, right now, I carry an autoloader from another company as my carry piece.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I will be looking for one also if I can get for msrp or lower from my gun store. I will definitely look at them at the shot show.

·
Registered
31 Posts
On another review there was a schematic of the internal action.

It appears to BE a Colt "SF" frame as used on the SF-VI, DS-II, and Magnum Carry.
The only apparent difference is the shape of the grip frame has been changed to what appears to be a slightly longer rounded butt, with a back strap more like the Mark III revolvers.
The Mark III back strap shape was more like a S&W and solved the Colt tendency to roll upward in the hand.

The shape of the trigger and trigger guard are different. The trigger guard has an odd shape I don't like, but obviously Colt designed it for a reason.
According to Colt the trigger geometry is different to give an even better trigger then the "SF" frame.

The fiber optic front sight is held in with a set screw, so that means different sights can be installed, including no doubt a night sight someone will offer.

I suspect that Colt has a winner here.
If you look at the spec sheet from the Colt website, they have a Related Accessories section that notes a future tritium front sight option.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Already logged on to my local gun shop and have put word out to several stocking dealers I am interested.....I am pretty sure I will never hear from them since the entire batch of however many were or are being made are "allocated" as they say in the gun distributor business......if anyone winds up with one I am looking forward to hearing about it in terms of where, how and for how much.......

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I doubt that any Colt Stocking Dealer will be able to set a price until after the Shot Show. I would think that after they are available to the public, the OTD price would be about $650.00.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I assume it doesn't have that nasty lock like the S&W has? That alone will get it some extra sales for those who might be comparing them. Question is if they will come out with a 5-shot hammerless version, that would be a good seller I'll bet.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
No reason for Colt to do a 5-shot hammerless .38 snub.
Smith has that market already.
Colt's major contribution to the .38 snub arena is 6 rounds.
Colt would have to R&D a new package to bring out a 5-banger with smaller frame, smaller cylinder, and internal hammer, and it wouldn't be worth the money that'd require.
Denis

·
Registered
296 Posts
If MSRP is $700, street price will be $600 after the new wears off the reintroduction. I don't like fiber optic sights on a short barreled revolver. The trigger guard looks "prebent", what the heck is that? For $600-$700 I'd much prefer an original Colt Cobra. I don't buy anything but carry gun "shooters" any more.

·
W.E.Coyote Acme Computer Genius
1,164 Posts
If MSRP is $700, street price will be $600 after the new wears off the reintroduction. I don't like fiber optic sights on a short barreled revolver. The trigger guard looks "prebent", what the heck is that? For $600-$700 I'd much prefer an original Colt Cobra. I don't buy anything but carry gun "shooters" any more.
The front sight is easily user changeable to a standard blade, it's held in place by a Allen screw.
If the revolver proves popular, I can envision Trijicon making a night sight insert for it in the future.

As far as "looks" go, I agree with you.
for defensive shooting, the fiber optic is a advantage, picking up the front sight a fraction of a second sooner may be the difference in the fight.

The trigger guard shape may have many reasons for it's unique shape, but the one I seen listed was to help with gloved hands.
A lot of people shooting snubs like to wear gloves to protect there hands.

1 - 20 of 191 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.