Colt Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I just picked up this Commando today...

It's in pretty good shape with some rust/pitting at the muzzle. The finish is worn at the high spots but the bore is very nice and the lockup is super tight. One small crack at the base of one grip panel. The question I have is the butt is marked FRPD 309. I assume that this is a police department. Any one know which one? I did a quick search but couldn't find anything.

All in all a nice revolver and I think I may have to start looking for a 2 inch model!

Thanks for the replies,

Mitchell

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the offer but the crack is in the left panel and it isn't really big enough to worry about anyway.

Mitchell

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

My guess,is that the initials stand for Fall River(Massachusetts)Police Dept.

Boston got some "new" Commandos in W.W. II as did some other P.D.s. In fact,most did not see combat,but were issued through the DSC(Defense Supplies Corp.) to plant guards,dock security,and police agencies.

Nice looking gun,and watch that cracked stock if you decide to shoot it. Recoil could finish it off!

Bud /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BTW, serial # is 451XX with no gov't proof marks so I assume this is late war production. According to the little research I've done, that would go along with a direct shipment to a stateside P.D. Although, weren't a lot of these sold as surplus after the war?

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Well, I learned something about the Commando by looking at your photo. Your gun shows a rounded half-moon front sight. My revolver serial No. 385XX has a ramp type sight and typical Commando barrel markings. Could Colt have supplied the Commando with both types of sights?

·
Administrator
7,327 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
Well, I learned something about the Commando by looking at your photo. Your gun shows a rounded half-moon front sight. My revolver serial No. 385XX has a ramp type sight and typical Commando barrel markings. Could Colt have supplied the Commando with both types of sights?

[/ QUOTE ]

Mine is 15206 and it has the rounded front sight as well .

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Pate's book mentions that "many" 4 inch Commandos were rebarrelled right after the war with 2" post war bbls. These all had the ramp sight. A 4" Commando,with an original 4" ramp sight bbl.,or a post war replacement 4" with a ramp sight would be "rare".

Seemed like many Commandos went the "snub route" after the war,and the few that I saw,were mostly with "investigative" types while in the Air Force.

Bud

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
Now I'm going to have to begin observing all Commandos closely to see if any more 4-inch barreled revolvers feature a ramp front sight. I've never paid close attention before.

·
Administrator
7,327 Posts
Do they exhibit the same roll markings ?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Congrats on the find ,I would have to take my chances on the cracked grip panel and shoot it just because Im weak like that /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif . c3006

1 - 11 of 11 Posts