Colt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New Colt Custom Shop 45\'s?

I am interested in a Colt, and want to get both a Python and a 45. I had my eye on a custom shop 1911, but saw a negative review on GunTests (regarding both accuracy and feeding SWC, which I will primarily use), and then to compound matters, it is not clear the custom shop 1911 is certified for sale in CA - where I unfortunately live /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Before I go chasing ghosts I wanted to ask those on this forum what their experience has been with recent vintage CS efforts. Any opinions appreciated, as my 2nd choice is to spend a lot more money and get a Nighthawk or Les Baer.

Thanks

·
Registered
345 Posts
Re: New Colt Custom Shop 45\'s?

This afternoon I was at the range and overheard a guy who has some nice autos...Kimbers,Springfields etc.He mentioned Les Baer in a conversation as one of the best 45 autos out there,,I believe.But you should look into it if money is no object.Kimbers and Springfields are both good guns for the $1,000 range and below.Collector value is about all one would want a Colt 1911 for,,,my opinion only,and I'm shopping because I just sold my series 80.My next 1911 style will be SS also,,,I'm tired of nickel guns on my workhorses,and hate to see rubbed off blueing

·
Registered
778 Posts

I have a Springfield SS loaded 45 that was purchased about three years ago for under $700.00. All I have had done to it is a bit of work on the trigger.

People have commented on its accuracy at the range. One guy was shooting a Kimber that had cost twice as much, and asked if he could try mine. He was amazed at its accuracy, and remarked that it was more accurate, and comfortable to shoot than his Kimber.

Price is not always a guarantee of the best overall value.

Good luck in your quest!

·
Registered
185 Posts

All my 1911 - styled pistols are Colt (at this time). I am not a collector rather a shooter.

Both for accuracy and speed I rely on Colt........

I am no Colt rep nor do I work anywhere in the business however I am here becasue I am a huge fan of Colt becasue how they work, NOT becasue what they are worth.

I have posted here 108 times and every time we talk about guns, I talk about how Colts just plain work well.....

For accuracy I use my series 80, Mark IV Combat Elite Enhanced (trigger work only), while for speed I use my SS 1991, series 80, that has been worked on by Eddie Himinea to include a solid-1 piece guide rod, lowed ejection port, ramped/polished, beaver tail and commander hammer (Wilson), ambi safety, over sized catch, STI release button w/ 2 coils cut out of the spring, lightened trigger/adj., 2.5 lb pull, chamfered mag well, sights, hand fitted bushing, and 6 tuned mags.

I have about $1,800 in the IDPA gun total and other guys I shoot with have run the gun and have concluded it faster than most of us are.......not to mention its a tack driver!

Between the 2 guns, I maybe have 2,800 to 3,200 rounds thru them and I can't remember a single issue that was related to their workmanship.....as apposed to bad ammo.

While Springer is an EXCELLANT weapon (and have said so) I prefer COlt.

Lee

·
Registered
778 Posts

Sounds like you know what you are doing. We shoot autos casually, not in competition so my Springfield is OK for that.

If I want to spend another #1,100.00, for me I'll buy another Python.

Greedy about old Colt revolvers!

·
Registered
185 Posts

On several threads I have commented that Springer makes the best bang for your buck auto on the market! I wouldn't be suprised if my next auto is a Springer........

My heart is with Colt, but we're not married, so I am still free to have weekend flings with her cousin Springer! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

1 - 6 of 6 Posts