Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of picking up a NIB Colt Defender. What do you guys think? Pros vs Cons----Any happy owners?

Thanks for any info.

GTD

·
Registered
253 Posts
I really like mine. Never had a problem with it. It always goes "bang" when I pull the trigger. Mine is the original configuration 7+1 capacity, not the PLUS version. It is lightweight and accurate. The only thing I didn't like about mine was that it came with a standard rear site. I replaced it with "snag-less" one and now it is near perfect. Fit and finish are superb.

I know some people don't like them (most probably never owned one) but it gets my thumbs up and I'd recommend picking one up.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I dig the snot out of mine... I must say however that mine is a plus (only because of my hand size)...

I wear mine in a small of the back holster, that combined with its light weight makes it an ideal carry weapon for me... As far as functionality - it has never misfired and is extreamley accruate considering it has a 3" barrel...

The enhanced recoil is easily handeled after a box of practice shells...

All pros and no cons with the following exception...

I wish Colt offered one in a 5 inch...

Regards,

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update: Sunday I ran down to the range/shop to see if they could locate one for me. Guess what? They had one NIB with my name on it!--------The min I put it in my hand I fell in love!

They now have one "Colt Defender" in layaway and if all go well I will give a range report ASAP!!

BTW, the trigger is GREAT! Not too heavy and nice clean break.

I liked the feel and action so well I want a 5" model soon. From what I have heard the XSE may be the match. Any one able to compare?

GTD

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought my Defender soon after they first came out in 1997 I believe. It has been great. It is the original style with the ski ramp sights, extended thumb safety and real beavertail. I have changed the trigger, grips, and main spring housing. It is definately a keeper, accurate and reliable as you could ask for. Here are some pictures, enjoy.

With kind regards,

Chuck

·
Registered
10 Posts
I really like mine. It outperforms my brother's Glock 30 so well that he doesn't even bother competing down at the range any more. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
44 Posts
id like to replace my beavertail with a smaller more gi type.this would cut off near 1 inch in length.a plus in a concelled situation.i dont have big fleshy hands that benifit from such (popular)extended BT. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Range report bref: Got 100 rnds down range and all I can say is WOW!-----------------One of the best, most comfy, accurate, smooooth, and fun guns I have ever shot!-----------------Recoil is (IMO) as foregiving as any 1911 -5" I have ever shot (Les B, 1991, Sprnfd, etc-)

Take down is EZ!---------no bbl bushing------- got to hold your mouth just right on reassby. Once you have it down your good to go!---No tools!-Oh ya---------Great first 1911-------I'm so happy----Thanks for all the help guys------------------------------------------------

GTD

1 - 8 of 8 Posts