Colt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New Colt \" fire sale \" buys !!!

Hey everyone, new member from Vegas area here. Long time collector, just getting into Colts. Here is an interesting story for you guys, followed by some questions. At a gun show in town yesterday, an old timer was walking around trying to get the dealers to look at a list of guns he had, in his car, to sell. In their arrogant stupidity ( the show was dead ) they just kept sending him away. I chatted on & off with him at several booths, and he saw me looking at an old S&W revolver. He said he had one in his car, and would make me a great deal on it. Went out and looked, an awesome perfect condition S&W K-38 from the late 40's. Turns out, his WIFE was the collector, she passed on, hie tried giving them to his church, someone there told him to take them to the show. He had 9 guns, 1 old double barrel shotgun, a 30-30 Winchester, a 22 Marlin ( both lever action, old old ones, the S&W, a Colt 1903 in .32 cal., a Colt derringer, a Colt Woodsman Target, mint, in box with papers and 6 Colt mags, a Colt .22 single action, mint, though a strange 2 tone piece, a Benjamin target pellet pistol, mint, in box, with everything included. All in excellent shape except for the shotgun, all old, 40's / 50's vintage. Any info on the Colts would be appreciated !! Most of my attention has been on older S&W's, but now that I have a good start on the Colts, cool !! By the way, he wanted $ 500 for everything, I had to twist his arm to give him more, which he promised to donate. The dealers at the show lost out on some nice stuff !!

·
Registered
806 Posts
Re: New Colt \" fire sale \" buys !!!

I'd say you done good. Paid a bit of attention to the guy , helped him and made his day.
You got yours for the effort. This time it was you and I for one am happy for you.
Over the past 40 plus years I have been doing guns, it has happened to me and I cannot start to tell you hom many other times to people I know and have helped them to "find out, just what they got."
Other wise, as he said he would have "given them " to someone else, or taken them to the police dept. and great for the guys on duty or the first one out to the parking lot.
People turn in guns, throw them away or get smart, and do an inventory, get a value and properly dispose of them to family members and others who just may have been acquainted with this 'collector' over the years and get a 'fair market value'. Bet she would have liked that,but apparently made NO attempt to cover this very situation.
Your "gain", their "loss"...........................

·
Registered
55 Posts
Re: New Colt \" fire sale \" buys !!!

You did very well.
BTW, the early Colt .22s Frontier Scouts were two tones.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts