Colt Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well i dont now if you guys have been lookin' around the web on colt new lately but Colt has a new $22.5 million contract with the military to supply M1911 rail guns for the Marines. not every Marine, but enough for over 10,000 Marines as of now. I actually found out at the factory because my dad gave me a tour and i saw these beautiful guns and got to hold one. I have some pics but they are a little different from the ones i saw at the factory. the ones there had USMC engraved on the slide next to Colt, bu that was the only thing i noticed. The soldiers i imagine will be happy to replace the 9mm they use. i hope they see how effective these .45s are and supply all the troops with these. Thy have a beautiful coyote tan finish.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
It's about time. Seems like things always go full circle, although I like the looks of the original 1911A1s and 1911s better.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
It's about time. Seems like things always go full circle, although I like the looks of the original 1911A1s and 1911s better.
i am 47 and i feal like an old fart,i like the old look better too but i like everything old anyway, still great news!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Pretty old news. There was a decent of colt bashing due to frames cracking during the testing but they won the contract. All the facts were never given to the public so it is really hard to state the complete circle.

This was mainly from other non colt websites. If you dig you can find the info on 1911 forums going back a number of months.

Glad to see the money stay here and go to one of the best companies in my eyes.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i would love that too! they are still in production now considering i saw them being made at the factory this when i was there, so they are still giving them to the troops who deserve these beautiful tools of destruction :) . apparently the smith and wesson 1911 almost got the spot.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Well i dont now if you guys have been lookin' around the web on colt new lately but Colt has a new $22.5 million contract with the military to supply M1911 rail guns for the Marines.
Oh, Come On!!;):bang_wall:

July 20th this came out!

You think no one has seen this but you?

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
What's wrong with a plain black gun that kills people as good as the designer one does like we've allways had?

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
Although I spent 28 years in the Army I always had to admit when it came to the Marines they were always smarter when it came to personal weapons. If the Army would get rid of the Beretta or at least let the soldiers use a 9mm round with some stopping power a lot of lives could be saved.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Do You know if there will be any available for civilians to purchase in the near future ?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I love my Colt RG, but $22.5 million for 10,000 guns seems a little spendy. I paid less than half that for mine. But I just have the SS series 80 version. Must be some expensive IR/radar absorbtion finish.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
its 10,000+ guns. i cant remember where i read it, but its closer to 20,000 guns than10,000. somewhere in the middle. and sorry, i dont know if it will be available to civilians yet. its hard to get new stuff from the military these days. i wish they could still keep there pistols after their sent home.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
it's not just the gun, it is the finish as well as as an inventory of spare parts,less frames probably double the number of guns or more. If I were going into harms way ,and had to pack a semiauto, I would feel alot better with a 1911 45 than a 9mm Beretta. The Beretta holds more rounds for a simple reason. In hardball you will need 3 rounds of 9 mm to do what one 45 will. That's the name of that tune.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts