Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my AE Nelson Leather 58-U Shoulder Holster for my Official Police just in time for Fall and Winter when windbreakers and coats are chosen over my usual sport coats

Here it is with my 1944 PreWar. This feels much more comfortable than my old nylon shoulder holster. It conceals well, not too bulky and holds the gun securely. It does take some getting used to giving that extra force to yank it out. Why have Shoulder Holsters fallen by the wayside? They conceal much easier than an OWB holster on your hip and the gun is much easier to access and more comfortable than an IWB holster.

Jeans Footwear Leg Denim Boot

·
Registered
59 Posts
There aren't too many months out of the year I could wear one here in the Arizona desert :) That one looks nice though.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Living in that area myself, the desert definitely an issue. Beyond that, I would suggest that massive slobification of male dress standards over the years are also a contributing factor. It's difficult to conceal a shoulder holster for someone who thinks appropriate formal wear is a dark T shirt.

I recently purchased an identical holster, and it took an entire evening adjusting the straps until I got it to 'fit' me.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
Doug38pr Looks like a nice rig. I like a shoulder holster the BEST. I like them especially in winter. I can wear one all day.hike up and down mountains, and don't hardly know it's there. I don't much care for belt holsters. They tend to pull my belt and pants down and I am always having to readjust them,especially when hiking up and down mountains.
Even in the summer, I carry a gun in a shoulder holster over a T shirt. Of course that's when Im in the woods and Im not trying to conceal anything.

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
Capstan, I would suggest getting a gun belt and not using your regular pants belt with a belt holster while in the field. When in the field, if not wearing my cross draw rig for my fa I wear a regular pants belt, and a gunbelt over it. doesn't tug my pants down :)
Doug38pr Looks like a nice rig. I like a shoulder holster the BEST. I like them especially in winter. I can wear one all day.hike up and down mountains, and don't hardly know it's there. I don't much care for belt holsters. They tend to pull my belt and pants down and I am always having to readjust them,especially when hiking up and down mountains.
Even in the summer, I carry a gun in a shoulder holster over a T shirt. Of course that's when Im in the woods and Im not trying to conceal anything.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Living in that area myself, the desert definitely an issue. Beyond that, I would suggest that massive slobification of male dress standards over the years are also a contributing factor. It's difficult to conceal a shoulder holster for someone who thinks appropriate formal wear is a dark T shirt.

I recently purchased an identical holster, and it took an entire evening adjusting the straps until I got it to 'fit' me.
No no, my definition of formal is a nice Hawaiian shirt :). Average baggy covers an IWB fine, but it would take extra baggy to keep a shoulder holster from printing with my less than ideal build.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
...... I would suggest that massive slobification of male dress standards over the years are also a contributing factor. It's difficult to conceal a shoulder holster for someone who thinks appropriate formal wear is a dark T shirt.
LOL!!!! ROTFLMTEO!!!! So true. And sad. merely wearing a sportcoat over a polo shirt is considered "a suit" to said people.

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
chasorob, Maybe that's the ticket; get a second belt just for the gun. Years ago, I had a cowboy type,leather belt and holster for my Colt frontier scout. I liked it a lot . Since then I have had mostly double action revolvers and some plain belt holsters but no belt came with them. I haven't seen a belt holster for sale other than the cowboy type SAA holsters that actually came with it's own gun belt. They all just have a loop to slide them on your belt even the expensive leather ones.
Since I like shoulder holsters, I have one for 4" ,6" and snub nose revolvers and a couple for medium size semi autos and 1 for a 1911.

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
Capstan, they are out there for sure. One of my favorite holsters for 6" da revolvers is a vintage BRAUER BROS holster and gun belt from the 50's I believe. I'll take some pics later. It is old, beat up and beautiful.

Here you go sir. It isn't pretty but it sure is functional. I love it.
http://www.coltforum.com/forums/lea...-brauer-bros-gun-belt-holster.html#post506348

chasorob, Maybe that's the ticket; get a second belt just for the gun. Years ago, I had a cowboy type,leather belt and holster for my Colt frontier scout. I liked it a lot . Since then I have had mostly double action revolvers and some plain belt holsters but no belt came with them. I haven't seen a belt holster for sale other than the cowboy type SAA holsters that actually came with it's own gun belt. They all just have a loop to slide them on your belt even the expensive leather ones.
Since I like shoulder holsters, I have one for 4" ,6" and snub nose revolvers and a couple for medium size semi autos and 1 for a 1911.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Who wears a jacket over a polo? That is just tacky.
In a dress-casual setting it's actually pretty nice.

Honestly, if I could get away with it, I would wear a sportcoat, dress shirt and tie everyday. I come from, that's considered dress casual (used to be called just casual) and a full two or three piece suit is semi-formal. Today, that's considered "all dressed up" by my generation. I was raised to take pride in my appearance.

Not to get off subject, but I honestly don't know why hats (fedoras and stetsons) went out. Sometimes I wear a small stetson with my suit or sportcoat on Sundays in the fall and winter when it's cold. It keeps heat from escaping your body and in the rain, it helps protect you from the rain.

·
Registered
6,466 Posts
I just do not see a casual collar shirt with a jacket, maybe that i just me. Not that I am James Bond or anything but if I am wearing a jacket I either have a button up collared shirt of collarless shirt on. I never understood the whole turtleneck and jacket thing either though. Different strokes for different folks

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
A shoulder holster is for all practical purposes a crossdraw holster. Most folks who carry for rapid deployment in social situations prefer the strong side draw. And, since holsters nowadays are so slim, carry is equally concealed, if not more so, lacking the harness required by the arm pit holsters.

Bob Wright

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've had a few LEO's and a weapons retention instructor tell me that they are easier for someone to take your gun away from you. I'm not sure if I agree with it, but that's what they said. I would assume that it's more a matter of training than holster style.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
because everyone knows an IWB stuck to a piece of wood is the most comfortable ,concealable holster in the world. only a geezer would carry a revolver instead of a 20 round polymer brick. Like you I still find a use for them. Eveything from western holsters to a Bianchi 9r for my Colt D frames ,and a larger one for a Colt Lawman. For long barreled 6 shooters under a light jacket , a Bianche X15 version of the old Hardy Cooper works real well. Was a time when lawmen liked these for 6 inch K frames and Colt Pythons.Nice rig

1 - 20 of 33 Posts