Colt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Guys, I carried a 6” blue Python as my duty weapon from 1977-1980. It was either that or a 15 yr old Model 10. For some unknown reason or one I refuse to remember, I either sold it or traded it. What an idiot I was!!! If they release a new Python, you darn straight I’ll by one, shoot it and leave it to my heirs.

·
Registered
531 Posts
We get to beat a dead horse again with this topic...yeah! I guess in this case it would be a dead pony!! The Python has been out for quite a few years since the originals were discontinued, it's made by Umarex and in pellet gun form. Hand fitted internals by robots, and a gorgeous dull black finish. Hopefully all the smart marketing gurus at Colt will just have Umarex make the newest version as well. I should be on their payroll for that suggestion. I mean bean counting is Colt's only business model these days. I'm sure a $1399 MSRP or something crazy will be the price point, and then a year later it will be on Cheapguns.com for half that. What a shame to use all of the old names, how ridiculous. But starting with the Cobra name of all the names they had to pick from, shows just how dumb the powers at the top really are. Meanwhile, Ruger is killing it with new revolver releases and even a new custom shop! Giving the customers precisely what they ask for. Good luck Colt's Mfg. Way too little way too late.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Welcome the new Python gentlemen! First of all the old Python is too costly to manufacture the “old” way. I have wanted to get a Python for my first .357. I was going to settle by converting a New Service in .45 LC to .357. I have a Colt Anaconda in .44 mag and like it over the 629 I had and sold. Now there is a new King Cobra, can’t we call that a 2nd Generation pistol? Sure a 1st Generation SAA or a Python is a more desirable gun to have, but why can’t there be a better made Python with the new manufacturing methods? Well I am planning now to leave the New Service alone, buy a “2nd gen” King Cobra and replace the 3” barrel with a 6” one from a “1st gen” one, and when it comes out I will buy a “2nd gen” Python. I don’t mind 2nd gen black powder pistols and 3rd gen SAAs while wouldn’t I buy a 2nd gen Python?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have a new Colt Night Cobra. I am very pleased with it. Very smooth, accurate and comfortable. It stands on its own. I have had a renewed interest in revolvers the last several years. I will most likely get the New Python when it comes out because I have a thing for Colts and because I can.
Must be blue or what passes for blue now days.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Like most things we grew up with and liked, the "new" Python will be a change from the original. Think S&W, Ruger, etc, all re-engineered to keep costs within bounds. It will probably be an excellent revolver; maybe not as "refined", but strong, accurate and no doubt well fitted. For those who want another (or just one) Python, it should be more affordable than the first generation. I won't buy one, but then, I also won't buy any other gun either. I have what I need, and what I want is merely irrelevant.

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
It'll be interesting if it will be a new larger frame size, or the existing Cobra frame pimped up with a vent rib, like the old Diamondback, only in 357. That's my guess.

Best regards,
It will be the new .357 King Cobra frame/action (basically an upsized new Cobra) with a vent rib barrel and adjustable rear sight, sounds like it will come with wooden grips and I guess they might do a basic trigger job on it to set it apart from the King Cobra. The only other change they might try is a full size grip frame to emulate the classic Python profile, even though I doubt it. I don't think anybody would bet too much money on it being anything else.

·
Registered
5,170 Posts
I heard it's going to have a brushed stainless finish. But I bet it will be blue. I heard it will have Allen screws, but they will be fire blued. And be sold for $900. A guy I know said it will have a 7" barrel. I bet it will be a 6.5" though. It's fun to guess and "bet" what "it" will be. My bet it it's all a pipe dream, there is no new Python.

·
Registered
9,281 Posts
Humor aside, Colt seems to be wedded to the new Cobra/King Cobra frame size. It makes sense both practically and economically for today's market and the new breed of buyers. Make it tough and durable...make it with accepted Python design cues like the vent rib and full underlug barrel...adjustable sights...action tuning...high quality finish...it will sell. Whether we want to accept it as the Colt Python of old is immaterial. Let the free market decide if it's to be a success. I'll bet enough owners of the original Python will want to add at least one to their collection just because. If it's priced competitively with other top line revolvers being made today it will have a following among the new generation of buyers. If it fails then there will be a new Colt collectible to chase.

If Colt can get good financial footing maybe there can be a larger frame revolver in the future (I hope)...a new DA .44 Magnum (with a 10mm version as well) and a Cobra in .22. I can dream the impossible dream.

Reactions: ei8ht and denpython

·
Registered
309 Posts
I would love to see a new Python. I had to sell mine 35 years ago when getting married to pay off some bills.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I think a new successful "Python" could be made... But pls don't call it a Python...That would be sacrilegious. Although when marketing gets involved, lots of bad decisions get made.

If anyone is familiar with the original Sig P210 and the Sig P210 Legend, then yes, a follow up to the Python can be done well and successfully. Original Sig P210 pistols were Swiss made and have a reputation for being extremely accurate and well made (you need to feel how tight the slide is to appreciate it). The action is like glass, smooth and precise. Then out came the Sig P210 Legend. Lots of good reviews, very accurate and well made, but not quite up to the previous standards from everything I've read/seen... But it is a very nice pistol. The Legend retails for ~ $1500 pistol and there is enough interest to keep it on the market. When the Legend came out, it brought attention back to the Sig P210 and also helped to promote the Legend.

Would love to see a Python "Legend" if they can use today's technology to create yesterday's quality.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Shame they'll never be available here behind the curtian.... I talked to a Colt rep at SHOT and laughed out load when I asked if they would be submitting any for MA testing.

41 - 60 of 135 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.