Colt Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
81 - 100 of 135 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,688 Posts
Ultimately Colt has to make something it believes will be profitable. While my wish is they would call it a boa and reserve the python name to the original and reopen the custom shop to restore and refinish the classic python. For those that have never tried the new double action trigger on the new cobra, it’s really a jewel.

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
Guys, I'm afraid the days of the hand fitted revolvers for the mass
market are gone forever. They are cost prohibitive. However, consider
this.

If Colt would offer a Python that was hand fitted by the custom shop
and price it at around $3k they would sell likely a few thousand a year
if that. This would be royal blued or bright stainless with the vent rib
and underlug. Lose the funny trigger guard of the new Cobra. This
should have the "traditional look". Trigger should be hand tuned to
3-4 pounds at SA and crisp. This would be a "promotional piece" to
show that Colt was "back in the revolver business".

A lesser MIM type (based on the new Cobra) for around let's say
$1,500 called the Python II would be the alternative choice.

Offering both I think would be a good choice for Colt to expand into
the revolver market. Lots of us still want Colt revolvers.

Yes, I was in Marketing and that's what I would propose if Colt's ears
are listening. I also was an engineer for 35 years.

Mike

·
Registered
163 Posts
If we ever see a new one I seriously doubt it will have much if any affect at all on the prices of existing gun.
Good new alternatives will suppress prices, but only so much.

I think of HK91s and PTR91s...the latter did keep HK91 prices down for a while, but they're now ratcheting up. The Century Galils did nothing to affect the price of the 1980s "real" Galils. But this is a difference between a good copy and a poor one.

If the "new" Python is well-made, it will reduce demand (and therefore market prices paid) for the originals. Just simple economics. If the new guns are akin to the "Classic" line that S&W has done for many years, with the IL frames and MIM parts, they'll have little to no effect on the older guns in the market.

·
Registered
9,135 Posts
The newer generation of gun buyers are not invested in the Pythons or Colts of old...long time Colt aficionados are. If there is a new Python it will find its own market or fade away. If it fades away it may become a collectible in its own right...maybe. I'd rather any new Colt become a success and let the pieces fall where they may.

The Python already has a multi-tier market...the original 1950s-early '60s examples, then the collector named "second series" with solid rather than hollowed out underlugs then the strike years examples then the Python Elites. All seem have different price structures though experienced collectors know to judge each on its own merits. Then there's the differing price tiers for different finishes such as bright nickel and e-nickel, stainless and bright stainless as well as different barrel lengths and the specials such as the camouflage models and those equipped with scopes. If there is a new Python it will have its own price tier.

·
Premium Member
3,846 Posts
Ultimately Colt has to make something it believes will be profitable. While my wish is they would call it a boa and reserve the python name to the original and reopen the custom shop to restore and refinish the classic python. For those that have never tried the new double action trigger on the new cobra, it’s really a jewel.
That name... could stamp it on an RG and there are those who would buy it.

As to everyone's comments about the lockwork, maybe a spiritual descendant of Loren Seekamp exists. He did the Dan Wesson and it locks like a Python, but stacks less. Or license/copy Frank Glenn's re-do of the I-frame lockwork that reduces the D/A stacking. Despite the accolades the gun has received since 1955, the D/A is not at all great.

·
Registered
494 Posts
You are making statements like " It will probably be an excellent revolver; maybe not as "refined", but strong, accurate and no doubt well fitted", "the new Python" and "cost will now be competitive". Do you have a crystal ball?

Right now there is no new Python and no one knows the cost. Guesswork and making rumors don't help new shooters either.
Well it is a new action nothing related to the new Cobra. Will be SS not blue. Lock work is very fast like the old Python and very very smooth, pricing is still being developed as are production component suppliers. Cannot comment much more than that at this point. You will just have to remember this post and when more detail is released 😊. What is the big advantage in this version is it takes advantage of over 50 years of advancements in engineering capability and the manufacturing equipment to take advantage of it.

Things do evolve---even in the manufacture of guns.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #92 (Edited)
A few things to clear up. There will be a new Python. NO it will not have the same action. It will not affect the classic Python prices in lowering their value. It will be no different in name since there never were for the older models being discontinued and re-introduced in the past with such guns as the Cobras and the Detective models with shrouds or with out, frame size or material as in alloy or steal. The action can't be the same since Colt is trying to eliminate the time spent in fitting parts by gun smiths they want regular people to sit on an assembly line and drop the parts in. They are most likely be in stainless in matt finish or polished. There will be variations I'm sure as they did with the Cobra and now King Cobra. They are trying to make it more durable than the last production so it will require less maintenance to the action work due to timing problems from heavy use. They are not going to call it point 2 O or what ever other name. They never did that with the past guns they brought back such as the SAA 1st, 2nd, 3rd or the Detective, Cobra and police positive. As far as price range? I am going to gamble and say its going to be in the $1000 range and there is a limited edition that is going to have wood grips so that one may be a slight higher. Collectors in Colts remember when Colt made the first edition run of 1000 guns they made with the Delta Elite and other models they introduced in the 90's and such. I'm sure that is in the works.

·
Registered
5,077 Posts
Well it is a new action nothing related to the new Cobra. Will be SS not blue. Lock work is very fast like the old Python and very very smooth, pricing is still being developed as are production component suppliers. Cannot comment much more than that at this point. You will just have to remember this post and when more detail is released [FONT=&quot][/FONT]. What is the big advantage in this version is it takes advantage of over 50 years of advancements in engineering capability and the manufacturing equipment to take advantage of it.

Things do evolve---even in the manufacture of guns.

A few things to clear up. There will be a new Python. NO it will not have the same action. It will not affect the classic Python prices in lowering their value. It will be no different in name since there never were for the older models being discontinued and re-introduced in the past with such guns as the Cobras and the Detective models with shrouds or with out, frame size or material as in alloy or steal. The action can't be the same since Colt is trying to eliminate the time spent in fitting parts by gun smiths they want regular people to sit on an assembly line and drop the parts in. They are most likely be in stainless in matt finish or polished. There will be variations I'm sure as they did with the Cobra and now King Cobra. They are trying to make it more durable than the last production so it will require less maintenance to the action work due to timing problems from heavy use. They are not going to call it point 2 O or what ever other name. They never did that with the past guns they brought back such as the SAA 1st, 2nd, 3rd or the Detective, Cobra and police positive. As far as price range? I am going to gamble and say its going to be in the $1000 range and there is a limited edition that is going to have wood grips so that one may be a slight higher. Collectors in Colts remember when Colt made the first edition run of 1000 guns they made with the Delta Elite and other models they introduced in the 90's and such. I'm sure that is in the works.
OK, this sounds like a sure thing then. When will this stainless, around $1,000 Python be available?

·
Premium Member
3,846 Posts
Now this is where Loren Seekamp's genius comes into play - or could. Dan Wessons are certainly no slouch in the accuracy department. And their finish was good varying to excellent, but some were super nice. The genius? There is exactly one (1) part in a Dan Wesson action that needs fitting: the hand. Everything else drops in.

Good grief! What if it ends up being a re-branded CZ-Dan Wesson???

OK, just kidding there...

·
Registered
7 Posts
I really hope it at least is in the spirit and appearance of the Python. The new King Cobra are not as good looking as the older Colts. The straight area on the frame above the trigger, and the flat trigger guard doesn’t look especially appealing to me. The slightly ‘scalloped’ look of the old Colts look a lot better. And the smooth finish of the older guns are also more attractive than the new pebbly finish.
But a new generation King Cobra with adjustable sights and 6, 4 and 2,5” barrels to choose from would be enough for me to rejoice. It’s almost impossible to get service done to a Colt revolver here in Europe, and buying a used Python (or any older DA Colt) is a gamble.

·
Registered
9,135 Posts
Let's hope they do it right and the result is a success.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
Don't get stuck on the guesstimate of the $1100 price range that is only a guess based off what the King Cobra & Cobra that was introduced. That number never came from Colt or any member there.

81 - 100 of 135 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.