Colt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a quick search and didn't really see anyone else with this issue. So here it is.

I just bought a new Colt Defender yesterday. I just shot about 40 rounds out of it. The 1st 2 mags were loaded with Federal FMJ, it failed to feed twice in the 1st 10 shots. I switched over to Remington UMC 230 grain. I shot 25 more rounds and had 5 FTF and was struck in the forehead 3 times with brass ejecting.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Brass sounds like maybe the extractor may need a little tuning. This may also resolve the FTF. Do a search for tuning the extractor and how to test. Otherwise the FTF can be due to the magazine. Try a different mag to see if the problem persists with different mags. If so, definitely look into the extractor.

·
Premium Member
3,035 Posts
I have had a few 3" 1911 type pistols. As stated above, try a good quality Mag, however, I have found that most FTF or FTE's were from limp wristing. They are great carry guns, but you need an extra strong hold on them.

·
Registered
180 Posts
It depends on where the bullet stops each time there is a FTF. Here are some different possibilities:

1) Bullet nose touching feed ramp, rebate hasnt left magazine lips-Magazine problem
2) Bullet completely out of magazine, but only partially up the breach face- barrel throat edge too sharp and/or base of bullet catching firing pin hole
3) Base of round is past firing pin hole - Extractor is too sharp on leading corners and/or tension is too great (This one is the infamous 3-Point-Bind)

As far as the rounds coming straight back at you could be as mentioned above, your grip. OR if the hook of the extractor has up and down room in the extractor hole, the extractor could be sitting in the 12 o'clock position rather than the center of the hole. If that makes any sense.

Hopefully that helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It appears that it just needed lubed. I cleaned it and oiled it, then shot 2 mags with no issues. I didn't realize they were shipped from Colt dry as a bone. At least this one was. I still need to run a few boxes of ammo through it before I can be sure that's what it was. Thanks for the input.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.