Colt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the gun shops I frequent has a brand new, unfired, Colt Detective Special for $399. Its blued, has rubber grips and has plastic box. I dont know much more about it and the gun dealer is reputable so im sure its new. Does $399 sound like a fair price? Thanks in advance.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,895 Posts
The later 1990's Colt Detective Specials were fitted with rubber Pachmayr Compac grips with gold Colt medallions, and packed in a blue plastic box.

That price sounds fair for a new in the box DS.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dfarriswheel, Thanks for the help. By chance, did any of these pistols have a silver medallion on the grips? I could have sworn it had a silver Colt medallion but I may be incorrect.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,895 Posts
As I recall, the Pachmayr Compacs Colt used always had Gold.

However, Colt also made a rubber grip they used on some "D" frame guns, and these did have silver medallions.

These rubber grips are unmarked as to manufacturer, and are a split grip. That is, the grip is in two halves.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Let me ask your advice. If I buy this pistol, id like to shoot it. Is a pistol this new a "collectable" and should not be shot or dosent it matter. Thanks again.

·
Registered
45 Posts
scott... I just went through the same dilemma you are going through and decided I just wanted to keep one in like-new condition, just for the heck of it. So I bought another one to use as a shooter and carry gun.

I suspect that in 10 years a cherry Dick Special will be a very desireable revo to have. But what it really comes down to is, do you want to enjoy having, carrying, and shooting the gun or are you OK with designating it a "safe queen" and not handling or shooting it much, if at all. I decided I wanted to have the best of both worlds, because I really want to spend some time handling and shooting a Dick Special.

I think $400 for like new or nearly new in box is a very reasonable price. Some sellers are asking (not sure how many are actually,"getting") $500 or more for LNIB.

Mine are both LNIB and I paid $375 for one and $400 for the other. Haven't received the $400 one yet, but it should arrive toward the end of this week.

These are great little revos... I think you would really appreciate having one. Since you don't have to pay shipping or a transfer fee, I think $399 sounds like a great deal for NIB.

P.S. Mine has silver colored medallions on no-name rubber grips, blue plastic box, printed Colt cardboard box sleeve.

[This message has been edited by DHart (edited 02-28-2005).]

·
Registered
44 Posts
i paid 315 new in 98.great gun even though i hot loaded it(feiend of a friends reloads)and bulged thre cylinder to the top strap.took 2 trips to colt to get it right but right it is .even though it was clearly my fault they fixed it for the cost of shipping the first time...good shooter too.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Yes they did come with the silver medallions.

The Colt Pachmyer "Compact" grip with the pinky finger most definitely did come with silver medallions.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Just to avoid confusion, I am not saying they only came in silver. I am saying the came in both gold and silver.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,895 Posts
In the days I was in the biz, Colt used genuine Pachmayr Compacs, always with Gold.

I forgot the later days after I retired.

I seem to recall that some of the later grips appeared to be Pachmayr grips, but were unmarked.
One man thought Colt simply had a direct copy of the Compac made by some other company.

It's been a few years, but I also seem to remember my early Colt SF-VI having these "no-name" Compac-type grips, but for the life of me, I can't remember if the medallions were Gold or Silver.

If I remember right, these grips were an EXACT line-for-line copy of the Pachmayr, but with no Pachmayr name or patent numbers on the side.

I SHOULD know better than to make definite statements about Colt grips, and medallions.

The problem is, after I retired I didn't see that many Colts, and I have no idea what Colt was doing.
(Apparently, neither did Colt).

·
Registered
150 Posts
My SF-VI has the rubber grips with silver medallions and "COLT" in a stylized banner about an inch below.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Just to add to the confusion, I have an SF-VI with Compac grips. The right side grip is silver. On the left side, The backgroud is silver, the pony is gold, the letters C O L T are gold, the medalion rim is gold from the 7-o'clock to about the 5-o'clock position, and it is silver from 5 to 7 o'clock. When I grip the gun my middle finger puts pressure on the 5 to 7 o'clock position on the medalion. It appears that normal use will wear off the gold.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi again guys and thanks for all your help. I looked at the pistol again and the grips were silver. The guy at the gun shop wasnt certain that it was NIB so I passed on this one. In in the process of buying one from 1965 that has been back to Colt for rebluing and a checkup. It costing me $340 shipped to my FFL. Ive seen pics and its absolutely beautiful. Ill post some pics when its in my hands. Thanks again guys, Scott

1 - 13 of 13 Posts