Colt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased an unfired Colt Detective Special today at a gun show in Columbus Ohio. The gun came with the original papers, white Styrofoam box with outer brown Colt cover. The serial number on the box matches the gun. No marks on the cylinder, it looks like it was never turned. This is my first colt.

Can someone give me the date of manufacture?

BTW, I paid $450.00. Serial number F4033x

·
Registered
711 Posts
I'm getting a DOB of 1973.

All original?... NIB?... 30+ yrs old?... $450? I say you made out VERY well.

Welcome to the club, you're starting your Colt odyssey in fine fashion.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Blokey, check that serial number, but I think you are off one year, it's 1974.
He did well though didn't he?

------------------
Dick

The watchwords for all mankind are.....Liberty and Freedom.

[This message has been edited by diamonback68 (edited 05-29-2005).]

·
Registered
61 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by haroldohio:

Can someone give me the date of manufacture?

BTW, I paid $450.00. Serial number F4033x
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think our respective DS's are related. My Colt is a nickle DS, Ser # 400xx. I was under the impression that my DS was manufactured in 1982, but the folks responding to your post say otherwise for your mfg number.. If you find out for sure what year your revolver was produced, please let me know. Better yet, if anyone knows if our revolvers were produced in the same year or not I'd sure like to know. It doesn't matter if it's 1973-4, or 1982, but I would like to know.

Best Wishes.

JP

[This message has been edited by Laserlips (edited 05-30-2005).]

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
JP, Harolds date is right, 1974, but you did not state your prefix letter, if it has one, and we need that before we can give you an accurate date.

------------------
Dick

·
Registered
61 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by diamonback68:
JP, Harolds date is right, 1974, but you did not state your prefix letter, if it has one, and we need that before we can give you an accurate date.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sorry. There is a "P" before the serial number. Lower down and separate from the serial number is an "R"

I was led to believe it was a 1982, but as I mentioned I don't care what date it was manufactured, I'm just curious.

Thanks!

JP

·
Registered
44 Posts
THEY DO FEEL GOOD IN THE HAND.THE TRIGGER IS ANOTHER MATTER.my DS and others ive shot sort of feel like their binding up before release!mines bone stock except for a new cylinder and action tune up by colt(sent it back to get it right).i think smith and wesson definatly has colt on triggers in the small sixguns.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for dating my new/old Detective Special to 1974. I don’t know the history of the gun but I guess someone purchased the gun in 1974 and put it on the shelf in the closet. I have eight hand guns and seven military rifles. I shoot every one of them. There are no safe queens. The DS being my first colt may be different. I haven’t decided if I’m going to shoot it.

My first gun was a nickel 4" S&W 19-3. I purchased it used from a local gun store in 1981. I still get tremendous pleasure from shooting this gun. I don’t think it would mean as much setting in a safe.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
JP, yours was made in 1982, as you can see the prefix makes a big difference in age.

------------------
Dick

·
Registered
61 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by diamonback68:

JP, yours was made in 1982, as you can see the prefix makes a big difference in age.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for checking for me!

Best Wishes,

J.P.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts