Colt Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought an unfired, in box DS 3rd issue (serial P*****). After cleaning the packing grease off of it I found some rust. There is some orange/brown around the serail # stamp and cylinder crane as well as in the rear sight channel. Is there anything that can be done to improve the situation? Could it be sent back to Colt for refinishing (obviously at a cost)?
Thanks.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Pardon me, but have you considered that old cosmoline mixed with certain oils can create a brownish stain?
Try cleaning the area with Simple Green or mineral spirits and a soft cloth.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Teakwood,

No, I didn't know that. Thanks for the advice. I'll try it ASAP.
I'm assuming mineral spirits = mineral oil?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Blade-mineral spirits are like fancy turpentine which will cut grease and cosmoline. Mineral oil isn't going to help. -Asa

·
Registered
323 Posts
Good advice...Also, beware of LACQUER thinner...Don't use it, just the mineral spirits (PAINT thinner).
Don

·
Administrator
7,302 Posts
Assuming dried grease/oil , I've had good success with Hoppes 9 and #0000 steel wool . Wet the area and let soak . Then wet the steel wool and gently rub the area .

·
Administrator
7,302 Posts
Thanks for the link . Some good advice . /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'm in no way inflating my own ego when I say that I am able to remove most surface rust using #0000 steel wool and good gun oil like Preserv Oil or Clenzoil without damaging the surrounding blue . I've done it hundreds of times on guns valued at $50 to $30k . It's an aquired skill . That's not to say that the rust hasn't ruined the finish underneath , but you want to try and stop the oxidation process . I've seen the botched steel wool cleanings many times on the used guns customers bring us to sell and there is no way they used #0000 grade . Trying to attack rust with steel wool that has majorly pitted the metal is a waste of time . Fresh , light surface rust is a different story . imo

The poster here possibly has some dried grease/oil and I've used Hoppes 9 and #0000 hundreds of times without damage . If he was local to me , I'd offer to clean it for him and pay for the gun if I damaged it .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts