Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the new Pythons just as smooth and tight as the older versions? Were there vintages to avoid? Finally I heard that the actions are complicated and hand tuned making it very difficult for the average gunsmith to work on them.Does this mean you have to send it back to Colt only ?

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,914 Posts
Guns are not bottles of wine, there ARE no "vintages".

Each individual gun must be judged on it's own merits. I've seen recent Python's that were some of the best I've ever seen.

I've also seen Colt's made in the 1930's when quality was at the absolute top, that should never have been allowed out of the factory.

You just have to look a prospect over.

The Python action is rather complicated, and won't take abusive treatment.

If a Colt needs work, it should be sent in to the factory, Cylinder & Slide, or Pittsburgh Handgun Headquarters for repairs.

Bottom line is, if you see a Python that looks good to you, BUY IT.
Basing the decision on what someone on the internet told you was a "good" or "bad" year will cause you to either buy a dog, or pass up a gem.

Buy a Python and treat it like you would an expensive sports car, and it'll last you for your life-time.

Treat it like a cheap Chevy clunker, and it'll need repairs.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I tend to agree with Dfariswheel, judge each gun on its own merits. I do have a hard time justifying the over $1000 for a new Python when I can buy a used Python that is just as good for a lot less. And the new Pythons that I have seen don't seem as nicely made and don't have the nice triggers that were the hallmark of the older Pythons.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts