Colt Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I am getting ready to purchase my first Colt 1911. My question is the choice between the Lightweight Commander O4860XSE and the Combat Commander O4012XSE. I currently conceal carry a Taruas PT1911 (to be replace with one of the above) with a N82 holster which does a great job of distributing the weight. My question: Is the 6.5 oz. weight savings going to sacrifice the durability of a Stainless Steel frame? I assume Coltalloy is of the 7000 series, which hardened to the highest strengths of any aluminum alloy. So my question is base on shooting 100-120 rounds per week through the Lightweight do I have any thing fear (except itself). It’s just that the Internet gives so much data (opinions) and wear seems to be a concern, real or not. Nothing erases doubt like wise words from people who use one or both of the above mentioned. Thanks and glad to be here!

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
Hello and welcome to the Colt Forum! Both of these choices are good ones and quite a few members here carry them. It may be a good idea to handle each in person to determine which 'feels' better in your hands. Also, you will get many more opinions if you post your specific query in the semi auto forum here: Colt Semiauto Pistols

Nice to have you with us! :cool:

·
Registered
3,564 Posts
Welcome to the Forum, Zaphor. Congratulations on your decision to go for a "1911" model. I own neither model that you're considering, but I do have a Colt Officers Lightweight that I bought LNIB 22 years ago. Many thousands of rounds downrange with never a hiccup and no signs of weakness or damage. I carry it concealed, too, and do appreciate the lighter weight without sacrificing the big bullet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mr/Miss Saintclair
First off, I am a chemist by training. Second come see your son. Let him show you the wonders. I have lived from the west to east coast (New Hampshire) and have visited you beautiful state many time (great golf). But as pretty as the east and midwest are (raised in Vermont and Ohio, you have your major problem, HUMIDITY! I have often said that if Columbus had sailed the other way this country would have stopped at Denver. Come visit the real mountains and stay a while with you son. You may want to stay. And any suggestion on my dilemma (lightweight or stainless commander) would be greatly appreciated.
Sincerely,
Bill

1 - 5 of 5 Posts