Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a 100% mint new frontier .22 with 22lr and 22 mag cylinders.
Grips are smooth faux wood(?) with Gold Medallions and gold screw.
Gold lettering "New Frontier Buntline" on side of barrel and Gold lettering" Colt Mfg Hartford Ct" on top of barrel.Case hardendened frame
Serial number range is G216500.
When was the gun made?
Are the grips original?
The cylinders are void of any serial number although one says 22 Mag.Is this correct?

[This message has been edited by Flusher (edited 06-11-2003).]

·
Registered
58 Posts
You have one of the .22 New Frontiers from the last run. These differed from the earlier ones in that they had the safety under the loading gate. They were made from 1982-1986,serial numbers started at G-200001 with yours being made in early 1984.

The original stocks are the black hard plastic eagles.The stocks on yours probably came from one of Colt's special edition guns ...a common upgrade which was done later.The gold lettering was also added later,they never came from the factory like that but it's easy to remove.If the gold color was added to the frame markings,be very careful when attempting to remove it in that area ....it's easy to mess up the case coloring.

The cylinders were never serial numbered on any of them.The unmarked LR cylinder would be correct for your safety gun. The marked magnum cylinder was also added later. Non of the safety guns came with dual cylinders from the factory. I've seen a few of these safety guns listed for sale with both cylinders ....that's a no-no with a safety gun. The magnum cylinder should never be used in one of these because none of the barrels are bored for the magnum round as they were on most of the earlier non-safety guns. Some of the New Frontiers & Peacemakers from the earlier series were also available in single cylinder only. The way to tell is to look at the muzzle ....flat is a LR only gun/barrel.If the barrel is crowned it's bored for both the LR and the Magnum round. Yours will be flat as Colt had intended to offer the dual cylinder option again on the safety series but never did ...this is the reason the cylinders are not marked for caliber on the safety guns ...LR only. They had also intended to offer the fixed sight .22 Peacemaker again in the new safety model,it never came to pass. Looks like a very nice gun.

------------------
Jeff

[This message has been edited by Barrocky (edited 06-11-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Barrocky (edited 06-11-2003).]

·
Registered
516 Posts
Just my 2 cents; I have an early model .22 New Frontier, and even though I'm a S&W guy at heart, the NF is a favorite shooter of mine. I sold a SAA in the past just because I don't like the grip, but it's okay on a .22. Mine is very accurate, in fact it took some $ off my shooting buddies a couple of weeks ago!

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Barrocky
Would you plese expand on your paragraph"I've seen a few of these safety guns listed for sale with both cylinders ....that's a no-no with a safety gun. The magnum cylinder should never be used in one of these because none of the barrels are bored for the magnum round as they were on most of the earlier non-safety guns".
Questions: Isn't the .22WMR bore the same as .22LR?
What are the consequences of shooting the magnums through this bore?

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Barrocky, you write " I've seen a few of these safety guns listed for sale with both cylinders ....that's a no-no with a safety gun. The magnum cylinder should never be used in one of these because none of the barrels are bored for the magnum round as they were on most of the earlier non-safety guns".
Are you saying that the bore for the 22LR is diferent than the bore for the .22WMR"
If yes, what would be the consequence of shooting the22 WMR?
What does the safety have to do with it.?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Flusher,
The safety itself has nothing to do with it,the .22 LR only bored barrels that all of these came with is the problem. The .22 WMR bullet is a couple thousandths larger in diameter. I believe LR is .222 and the WMR is .224 ....excess pressure would be the problem. You can fire LR in a WMR barrel,not the other way around.The owner's manual for these safety guns states not to use .22WMR,the best reference book out there for these guns says never attempt to mate a .22WMR cylinder to a gun with the crossbolt safety.

I've seen a few used safety style guns listed before with the extra cylinder,they were added to the package later. Colt never offered a WMR cylinder with any of the crossbolt safety guns. I'm sure that some people have fired the WMR round through these barrels anyway,I've never tried it so don't know what would happen. All I can say is Colt says not to do it.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Mr Barrocky is correct about the bullet diameters; when fired in a .22 mag barrel, the soft lead of a 22 l.r. expands to seal the bore. .22 Mags have a real jacket, and sqeezing them down to .222 in a l.r. bore is not recommended.

·
Registered
58 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bullet Bob:
Just my 2 cents; I have an early model .22 New Frontier, and even though I'm a S&W guy at heart, the NF is a favorite shooter of mine. I sold a SAA in the past just because I don't like the grip, but it's okay on a .22. Mine is very accurate, in fact it took some $ off my shooting buddies a couple of weeks ago!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Bullet Bob,
Glad to see you made it over.Welcome to the Colt Forum.

I've found those little .22 New Frontiers to be very accurate.They are my very favorite .22's to shoot,loads of fun.I have quite a few of them,most of mine are for collecting but you just have to have a couple shooters. Old Skeeter even liked the Buntline .22 NF he tested years ago.

------------------
Jeff

1 - 8 of 8 Posts