Colt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the a following-goal is to make a perfect,as manufactured gun: A NIB two cylinder gun with a ding on the cylinder,also missing the mag cylinder.I have two new perfect cylinders in 22 lr,one is fluted,one is not(unfluted has no caliber marking but is LR).
Colt will fit the cylinders but say they can't make the unfluted one into a magnum.Advice or my next step in getting that cylinder reamed to magnum? Thank you.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
I read somewhere (damned if I can find it now) that the convertables had a slightly larger bore to accomadate the larger magnum, without increasing pressure.This was the case with the Ruger .357/9mm convertables. The smaller cartridge wasn't a problem with a slightly oversize bore, but the reverse obviously was not. I may be that your new frontier's barrel isn't suited for the larger magnum. In any event Cylinder & Slide could tell you for sure.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mine has the magnum bore,as evidenced by a rounded muzzle(flat muzzle for LR only guns) Difficult to get a concise answer from Colt as the receptionist has to relay the info to the shop fellow via an email,she not being overly knowledgeable about older models-I wasn't either about this model until I purchased Wilkerson's book and nailed down what I have,and didn't have.Jus trying to unscrew myself on this GA purchase from a few years back-a less than honorable seller.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Camster, the 'heat'treat is most likely different for the 'Magnum' cylinder. As said above, Colt wouldn't "redo" it for 'liability' rasons.
What is the "vintage " of your gun? As said, the early ones (Non convertibles) used a .222" dia meter barrel bore. When they started to built the "Mag" marked guns, they used the larger .224" dia. Thus that led to "adding" a spare cylinder, thus becoming 'convertibles', some time in the early /mid 60's from what I remember.
Some gun companies use the same diameter bore for BOTH , where as S&W used two different ones for the models ,say 17-18 and then the 48 (magnum)
Yes, they would "fit" a spare .22lr cylinder to the 'mag' but NOT the other way around.
Ruger ,after serial numbers (approx) 150,000 , went to the .224" dia . bore on ALL their .22 models. No problem fitting either way then. At the same time Colt introduced their version of the Scout 'Mag' , Ruger was making the Single Six in a "magnum" ONLY version too.
SO a lot of this copying (marketing?) was going on.

yes, many of those cylinders were "rechambered" by people over the years and I have NOT seen any 'problem' myself, but that is NOT to say it did not, will not or could not happen.
Besides, they marked the cylinders 'different' so people could tell at a clance , just which was which.
I recently sold an early Scout and it had BOTH cylinders and neither was 'marked' as to the caliber???

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, Dan, I forgot about the hardening aspect.I see that Numrich is offering new aftermarket cylinders,perhaps I'll go that route.Pittsburg Handgun doesn't have any.My gun is 70s vintage by the way.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts