Colt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to find a 22 Mag cylinder for my New Frontier.
It is a G serial number and has New Frontier 22 stamped on the barrel.
I have two questions:
1. How to identify an authentic Colt cylinder.
2. Are the Cylinders all the same and fit all colt SA Scout, NF models without fitting modification.

Thanks for any information.

·
Premium Member
3,974 Posts
First, it will be non-fluted. Second, it will have '22 magnum' rollmarked around the outside rear edge. It 'should' fit without work, but production tolerances being what they are, you never know.

Reactions: MC57

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I think I have found one, but they want half as much as I paid for the gun.
They are a rare find, so supply and demand is at work.

·
Registered
9,590 Posts
There are aftermarket .22 Mag cylinders on the market...I believe they were sold by Numrich. While they work they usually require fitting and are a bit crude in comparison to Colt made cylinders. I think they say ".22 Magnum" on the chamber end of the cylinder...not the rounded sides like Colt made examples. I'm not sure but I understood some very early Colt .22 Magnum cylinders were fluted.

Just be sure what you're buying.

Reactions: MC57

·
Premium Member
4,274 Posts
Here are some photos of a genuine Colt .22 Magnum cylinder for a New Frontier .22. The earliest NF22's (1971) had fluted cylinders. Later guns (1972-77) had unfluted cylinders which looked exactly like the fluted ones, but without the flutes, of course.
One watch-out: if you have a New Frontier .22 with serial number above G200000, do not install a Magnum cylinder. Those revolvers were made 1982-86 and were NOT designed to fire the .22 Magnum cartridge.
Generally speaking, all cylinders for the Frontier Scouts, Buntline Scouts, Peacemaker .22 and New Frontier .22 revolvers had the same dimensions. That means the cylinders were usually, but not always, interchangeable between guns. If you happen to find a new cylinder that never has been fitted, you might have to very carefully machine the face of the cylinder bushing to shorten it slightly to fit.
I would stay away from aftermarket cylinders, such as Numrich, they may require more fitting than one that is genuine Colt. And they will not have as nice a finish as a Colt factory cylinder.
- - Bruce in Ohio

·
Premium Member
3,974 Posts
Mine is a G149000 series, so is non-fluted. I would imagine that Colt's changed them due to eggheads blowing 22LR cases out by firing them in mostly identical 22 Mag cylinders.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There are aftermarket .22 Mag cylinders on the market...I believe they were sold by Numrich. While they work they usually require fitting and are a bit crude in comparison to Colt made cylinders. I think they say ".22 Magnum" on the chamber end of the cylinder...not the rounded sides like Colt made examples. I'm not sure but I understood some very early Colt .22 Magnum cylinders were fluted.

Just be sure what you're buying.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here are some photos of a genuine Colt .22 Magnum cylinder for a New Frontier .22. The earliest NF22's (1971) had fluted cylinders. Later guns (1972-77) had unfluted cylinders which looked exactly like the fluted ones, but without the flutes, of course.
One watch-out: if you have a New Frontier .22 with serial number above G200000, do not install a Magnum cylinder. Those revolvers were made 1982-86 and were NOT designed to fire the .22 Magnum cartridge.
Generally speaking, all cylinders for the Frontier Scouts, Buntline Scouts, Peacemaker .22 and New Frontier .22 revolvers had the same dimensions. That means the cylinders were usually, but not always, interchangeable between guns. If you happen to find a new cylinder that never has been fitted, you might have to very carefully machine the face of the cylinder bushing to shorten it slightly to fit.
I would stay away from aftermarket cylinders, such as Numrich, they may require more fitting than one that is genuine Colt. And they will not have as nice a finish as a Colt factory cylinder.
- - Bruce in Ohio
View attachment 707396 View attachment 707397 View attachment 707398

1 - 14 of 14 Posts