Colt Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being a sixty something my eyes are no longer what they used to be. :(
So I usually resort to putting fiber optic front sights on all my firearms just so I can more easily see the front sight. I just bought a new 1978 New Frontier 7.5" that I would like to shoot a small amount. Since I doubt anyone makes a different sight for a NF I am wondering if anyone has added a color dot or something to their NF ramp sight and if so, how did it work out??

·
Premium Member
12,527 Posts
I would not modify my New Frontier by adding fiber optic sights unless it could be reversed with no affects. The dot sounds more reasonable. You have to do what you have to do. My solution was inter ocular lens (IOL) implants; works like a charm.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would not modify my New Frontier by adding fiber optic sights unless it could be reversed with no affects. The dot sounds more reasonable. You have to do what you have to do. My solution was inter ocular lens (IOL) implants; works like a charm.
I agree, I was not thinking of putting FO sights on my New Frontier as I have not seen any available and I have no idea if the front sight is actually removable. I was curious as to what others have tried.
The IOL sounds interesting but I know nothing about them and doubt I could afford.

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
Try painting the ramp with white, yellow, or red enamal, you can buy small bottles model airplane builders use at hobby stores

Reactions: Collects

·
Premium Member
6,472 Posts
Try fingernail polish. You can find it anywhere. Cheap, tough, lots of colors, and easy to remove if you need to.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I agree with the others that suggested paint or fingernail polish. When I've used Model paint in the past, I start with a white base coat, and then the chosen color of model paint tends to be brighter than it would be on the Blued surface.

Tom

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the suggestions guys,

I put a white night siters dot Nitesiters Handgun Night Sights
at the top end of the serrations on the ramp and covered it with a small drop of superglue. I had a few left over from doing this on other gun sights and it has worked OK.

Next range day will tell.

Jim

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
As to front sights, I for one prefer plain black. Most Smith & Wesson revolvers I've had over the years came with a red insert that I replace with black. Haven't done it on many guns, but acid etching or sandblasting to kill the shine works very well.

This Ruger Blackhawk, once a Bisley, has had the front sight, ramp, and top strap sandblasted:

Bob Wright

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As to front sights, I for one prefer plain black. Most Smith & Wesson revolvers I've had over the years came with a red insert that I replace with black. Haven't done it on many guns, but acid etching or sandblasting to kill the shine works very well.

Bob Wright
Bob,

Up until somewhere in my 40's I might agree. But the way my eyes are now that black front blade is almost invisible to me. So I adapt to what allows me to continue to shoot well.

Jim

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Bob,

Up until somewhere in my 40's I might agree. But the way my eyes are now that black front blade is almost invisible to me. So I adapt to what allows me to continue to shoot well.

Jim
I understand. Up until a few years ago I was having some vision problems, but had cataract surgery which worked a miracle for me.

Come to think of it, its not my eyes, its my arms are getting longer.!

Bob Wright

1 - 11 of 11 Posts