Colt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my new frontier is giving me fits.

the action on it has always felt rough and recently it developed a new problem.

about every dozen or so cycles of the action the cylinder binds up. it wont make it to the first click but once the base pin comes out it frees up.

also, the third click is louder than the others if that means anything i think i even heard a fifth click in there somewhere.

my Gunsmithing Guns of The Old West doesnt mention this as far as i can tell. if it needs a particular part i think i could handle it easily enough.

this is one of my favorite guns because it is very accurate and nice looking to boot. and its in 44 spl.

thanks for any input.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Does it bind up with cartridges in the cylinder and/or empty chambers? How is the clearance between the front of cylinder and the throat of the barrel ie;can you slip a .005 feeler gauge in between them,or see any light between them? If not,could be lead build up one the cylinder face or barrel throat,or both. Also,check for "crud" built up on the recoil plate and a loose or protruding firing pin bushing in the recoil plate. The ejector rod has also been known to move out a little,make contact with front of cylinder,binding it,due to a weak spring. Hopefully,it will be one of these "e-z" fixes,and not an internal problem with the hand,bolt,or hammer timing. I have a 3rd generation,44/40, New Frontier with the 4 3/4" bbl. while a beautiful gun that I bought new,required a lot of my fitting to make it function smoothly,and in time. Good Luck, Bud

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it binds with empty chambers. i think the bolt needs to be replaced but i guess it could be the hand too. i bought an $18.50 replacement bolt from numrich but it wasnt even close to the original so it went back. if i cant figure it out i'll have to ship it somehwere but the cost and the wait make it the last thing i wanna do.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts