Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am looking for a new set of grips for my 1974 Cobra (nickel). The factory grips look great, but I want something smaller and more concealable. I have narrowed it down to either a set of Badger Custom's boot grips with no finger grooves or a set of elk horns from Patrick Grashorn.

To make the decision even harder, I am considering the elk horn grips made really short, to stop at the bottom of the grip frame. (And many thanks to Mr. Grashorn patiently answering all my questions on his fine looking grips!) Anyone know if this would be too short? Or would that just be like the Agent size grip? I've never seen an Agent in person so I am not sure.

Opinions or first hand knowledge would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have par of Eagle stocks that stop at bottom of the grip frame, they are much shorter then factory agent grips. They are two fingers only little finger has to curl under the grip frame. For pocket an ankle carry that short of grip is good for concealment but much harder to shoot. The Cobra I carry most of my 2" Colts has a set of custom Badgers at the length of Agent stocks below the grip frame. IMO you will shoot better and be happier with your stocks at Agent length then cut at the bottom of the grip frame.

·
Registered
7,950 Posts
I wouldn't be inclined to go any shorter than the Agent grip length. I carry an Agent with the factory stocks with a Tyler T-Grip in a carry vest breast pocket, and it works out quite well.

If you want an inexpensive option that will allow you to adjust the length buy a set of Herrett's stocks on eBay and shorten as desired. Granted these are oversized, but I had a nice new uncheckered set for many years and put them on a Detective Special shortened them to factory length, routed the bottom and they came out nice. Once you decide what length you prefer then buy the custom ones.

·
Registered
10,823 Posts
I'm partial to Pachmayr Compacs...they're reasonable small (everyone has a different hand size)...they handle recoil well. About the only draw back is that the rubber is somewhat "sticky"...clothing can stick or drag on it which can let others know you're packing.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I believe Altamont Grips makes grips for your gun...................

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
I'm partial to Pachmayr Compacs...they're reasonable small (everyone has a different hand size)...they handle recoil well. About the only draw back is that the rubber is somewhat "sticky"...clothing can stick or drag on it which can let others know you're packing.
Hogue's grips are even stickier, but that makes them great for "Mexican" carry (which I prefer). You just stick the gun inside the waistband of your pants, and it will stay there.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I put a set of altmonts on one of my revolvers. The profile was a little different than factory grips but it still felt good in the hand. Then I traded it for something else haha.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts