Colt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
I'm not sure if I'm the only one, but I can't see the grips. The engraving looks good.
Are the grips Rubber ? Wood ? Who makes them ?

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Jeff,
They are wood Nill-Griffe grips. I am having big time problems taking pics of this gun! It is S.S. which I polished, and it seems that either I get a decent pic of the gun, or the grips, but never both. Someone suggested trying it outside in natural light, which is what this one is. Guess that doesn't work to well either. I'll try another.

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Much better.
I've polished a few myself.

Looks good. I think you had too much back lighting or overhead lighting in the first shot. The 2nd picture is better due to the lighting being more to the front.

Thanks for the pic.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
4,653 Posts
Hi again Beav,
Now that I looked at the first and 2nd picture again I realized you lost a little profile on the grips due in part to your dark backdrop. You may want to try a lighter backdrop next time and you will pick up the profile of the grips better. notice how your first picture really shows off the finger grooves in the grips, yet they get lost in the 2nd picture.

Try Red maybe ????

I didn't want to post a Colt to take away from your beutiful Python, but you get the idea.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

[This message has been edited by GUNKWAZY (edited 06-20-2005).]

[This message has been edited by GUNKWAZY (edited 06-20-2005).]

·
Registered
535 Posts
Very nice, grips, gun and pictures, Beaverislander! The grip design reminds me or Herrett's. Is the dark area really fine checkering?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The engraving was done by Jim Downing: http://www.thegunengraver.com

The grips are from Karl Nill, in Germany, and the surface is called stippling, which remids me of a course sandpaper. They have had problems getting distributers in the USA, so were pretty tuff to find, I understand that there is one set up now. http://www.nill-griffe.com/

The gun was also sent back to Colt early on. They smoothed the action and set the trigger pull to minimum specs.

This revolver is probably my favorite to take out shooting. Smooth as can be, and pleasing to my old eyeballs :)

Thanks for your comments.

·
Registered
224 Posts
BI-- You got them! Nice grips! Here is a pair of ivories I just fininshed fitting to a favorite 22 I have.

------------------
An Armed Society Is A
Polite Society

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey J.R.,
Thats a nice clean look. Speaking of Ivories, how about posting a pic of that carved set you have? They have to be the sharpest grips that I've ever seen :) I'm sure these folks would like to see them, even if not on a Colt!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts