1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
16,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Wall Street Journal reviewed it a month ago. Good review. I read it and found it interesting. But, it lacks pictures of guns and no mention of John Browning which is curious.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
16,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I haven't had time to start the book, but it appears the thrust of the story is about the early American mass production gun makers and the industry they started.
Browning was the greatest gun inventor, but not a large gun maker in the sense that Sam Colt was.

·
Registered
26 Posts
C-SPAN's Susan Swain had an interview with the author last Sunday night on her Q&A program. The book focuses more on the lives and times of the inventors themselves than on any particular firearms. Should be of interest to anyone who likes history.

·
Premium Member
2,202 Posts
I haven't had time to start the book, but it appears the thrust of the story is about the early American mass production gun makers and the industry they started.
Browning was the greatest gun inventor, but not a large gun maker in the sense that Sam Colt was.
Indeed. John Browning also was active too late to fit into the chronology of the book as I understand it. The “latest” gunmaker discussed is apparently Oliver Winchester. And the book’s last chapter is entitled “Centennial”, indicating it may indeed focus on the first generation of industrial producers, who were well-established when Browning’s designs gained attention.

Font Number Paper Document Screenshot

1 - 7 of 7 Posts