Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

· Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So as the title says, there is a new gun shop in the next town that has some pretty decent prices on a few items. I have a Sig nitron railed 1911 I've never warmed up to and I got a trade offer of $750, more than I paid new for the thing so away its going to go.

I have the $750 in trade value and $1k in cash that could be stretched to $2k if its a fiscally sound investment and not just a new toy.

I have already made a tentative deal to trade the Sig + $100 for a 1962 Colt commercial 1911 in pristine shape save for one blotch of finish completely missing from the slide. but,

Also available are:

A 1959 winchester m70 in 30-06, solid 90% finish, used but not abused, good wood still, good bore, , $900

A 1961 winchester 94, 30-30, 85%, thinning finish but good bore, honest gun, $800

A 98% python, 4", blued. Late 60's with service stocks in box, $3k. Up there but I'd make it happen if it were a solid investment. Very nice finish, the grips look pristine, looks like it might be unshot but i'd have to look closer.

An early winchester 52 with the heavy barrel, target peep sights, and banded stock, 90%, $800 This one is nice, very heavy barrel, very substantial and precise rear peep sight apparatus with hooded front, stock in nice shape, bluing thinning but still almost all there

Post 64, 1968 Buffalo Bill commemorative winchester '94. Not really my thing, ugly painted finish, cartoonish engraving, but it's in my favorite configuration for the 94, a 26" octagon rifle pattern. 95%, $550.

U.S. property Remington 1911-A1, 98% in issue box, parkerized, $1950. This one is interesting. Looks unissued and uncarried, i'm guessing its numbers matching. I have no idea how old or if its wartime, so this one might need further inspection.

S&W 29-4, 3" barrel, hogue grips, unfluted cylinder, 95%, no box, $1500. Lew Horton maybe?

Those are some of the things I saw that I wanted more than the sig.
What would you do and why?

Last edited: 31 minutes ago

· Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I'm leaning towards the U.S. property Remington 1911, just because it looks to be in as-issued condition, and how many of those do you see? $1950 seems like it would be a pretty good price.

Aside from that, the commercial 1911 and the pre '64 model 94 are kind of calling to me.

· Registered
4,992 Posts
I have already made a tentative deal to trade the Sig + $100 for a 1962 Colt commercial 1911 in pristine shape save for one blotch of finish completely missing from the slide.
Yes to this one.

A 1959 winchester m70 in 30-06, solid 90% finish, used but not abused, good wood still, good bore, , $900
Maybe if you’re a hunter.

A 1961 winchester 94, 30-30, 85%, thinning finish but good bore, honest gun, $800
Same as above.

A 98% python, 4", blued. Late 60's with service stocks in box, $3k. Up there but I'd make it happen if it were a solid investment. Very nice finish, the grips look pristine, looks like it might be unshot but i'd have to look closer.
Maybe depending on actual condition and not a fake box and paperwork.

An early winchester 52 with the heavy barrel, target peep sights, and banded stock, 90%, $800 This one is nice, very heavy barrel, very substantial and precise rear peep sight apparatus with hooded front, stock in nice shape, bluing thinning but still almost all there.
Yes if it’s a 52B.

Post 64, 1968 Buffalo Bill commemorative winchester '94. Not really my thing, ugly painted finish, cartoonish engraving, but it's in my favorite configuration for the 94, a 26" octagon rifle pattern. 95%, $550.
Nope

U.S. property Remington 1911, 98% in issue box, parkerized, $1950. This one is interesting. Looks unissued and uncarried, i'm guessing its numbers matching. I have no idea how old or if its wartime, so this one might need further inspection.
Maybe, depending on where it came out of and originality.

S&W 29-4, 3" barrel, hogue grips, unfluted cylinder, 95%, no box, $1500. Lew Horton maybe?
Nope

Reactions: Scottz63

· Premium Member
2,893 Posts
So as the title says, there is a new gun shop in the next town that has some pretty decent prices on a few items. I have a Sig nitron railed 1911 I've never warmed up to and I got a trade offer of $750, more than I paid new for the thing so away its going to go.

I have the $750 in trade value and $1k in cash that could be stretched to $2k if its a fiscally sound investment and not just a new toy.

I have already made a tentative deal to trade the Sig + $100 for a 1962 Colt commercial 1911 in pristine shape save for one blotch of finish completely missing from the slide. but,

Also available are:

An early winchester 52 with the heavy barrel, target peep sights, and banded stock, 90%, $800 This one is nice, very heavy barrel, very substantial and precise rear peep sight apparatus with hooded front, stock in nice shape, bluing thinning but still almost all there

U.S. property Remington 1911-A1, 98% in issue box, parkerized, $1950. This one is interesting. Looks unissued and uncarried, i'm guessing its numbers matching. I have no idea how old or if its wartime, so this one might need further inspection.

Those are some of the things I saw that I wanted more than the sig.
What would you do and why?

Last edited: 31 minutes ago
safestuffer,

Presuming the "Remington 1911A1" is a WW II Remington Rand.

They had four different slides depending on the range of the serial number. (The slides are not numbered.)

Here's an original late RR in (most likely) the original box (it has its NRA paperwork). (The last version of the slide,...Blanchard cut with the third left side slide roll-stamp.)

Best Regards,
Air gun Trigger Revolver Gun barrel Gun accessory
Air gun Trigger Mammal Gun barrel Gun accessory

· Registered
3,628 Posts
Check the Remington for a polished feed ramp in the frame. That is the best investment gun in the lot for the price. The 52 if it is a B will hold it value and you can shoot it all you want for enjoyment. The Python is at top dollar or maybe a bit more. The commemorative is a no-go. The 70 and 94 are nice but not investment quality and not really anything special.

· Premium Member
3,419 Posts
I suppose, like most have chosen, I'd be tempted by the Remington as well.

That said, with my current interests, I'd pursue these two for an initial offer of $1600 and bargain up from there.

This is fun! I love spending other people's money!

· Registered
11,131 Posts
Putting aside the 'investment' idea - which piece do 'you' like - which strikes a chord in 'you'?

It's all well and good asking everyone and getting their opinions - but they're 'their' opinions based on 'their' preferences - you need to figure out yours.

And - you need to do it pretty fast, before someone swoops in...

· Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Putting aside the 'investment' idea - which piece do 'you' like - which strikes a chord in 'you'?

It's all well and good asking everyone and getting their opinions - but they're 'their' opinions based on 'their' preferences - you need to figure out yours.

And - you need to do it pretty fast, before someone swoops in...
They all strike a chord in one way or another. Some of these guns I have never seen available locally, like the pre-64 M70...those just don't come up for sale here, and if they do they certainly don't come up for sale at reasonable prices.
I have the feeling i'm going to be putting some guns on layaway today in addition to buying some outright. Great time to happen for me, I just moved up into a new position with a substantial pay increase so I've kind of earned it.

I've always wanted a pre-'64 winchester 94 and 92, if I get this '94 then I only need to find a '92 and i'll have an example of the three most common Winchester lever guns, the '73, '92, and '94

I love the lines of the pre 64 M70...that boss machined in the barrel for the rear sight, the hooded front sight, etc...and I only have one 30-06 currently so another one in THE quintessential and iconic hunting rifle would be nice

The Winchester 52 is the king of .22lr's, who wouldn't want a decent example in their safe? Especially the rarer banded stock version with the extra heavy bull barrel

The commercial colt 1911 is gorgeous, I can even forgive the blemish since the price is so good. If it gets to the point I can't forgive the blemish, for the $750 I have into it I can always have it refinished as a shooter.

I am going to give that Remington 1911-A1 a hard look over. That one will most likely come home with me, if I like what I see.

I honestly think i'm going to get the commercial colt outright, buy the remington, and put the three winchesters on layaway. We'll see how it pans out.

I wouldn't be able to shoot the Python and it's at the high water mark for prices so I don't any significant enjoyment or money to be made in that one.

The 29-4 I like but at $1500, no box or paperwork, is not a great investment or bargain.

· Registered
553 Posts
As usual df6 has hit the nail on the head. A decision has to be made or your choices will slowly, maybe not so slowly diminish. Like a 10 yr kid in the candy store with 10 cents burning a hole in his pocket and so many choices...
The Remington Rand seems the obvious choice IF all correct. However it is Safe Queen Status make no mistake about that. Think of that brand new car you just drove out of the showroom, it just devalued a great deal. If you're okay with parking it in the safe for 5, 10 or more years then go for it. Investment wise it seems to be your best choice.

· Premium Member
2,893 Posts
They all strike a chord in one way or another. Some of these guns I have never seen available locally, like the pre-64 M70...those just don't come up for sale here, and if they do they certainly don't come up for sale at reasonable prices.
I have the feeling i'm going to be putting some guns on layaway today in addition to buying some outright. Great time to happen for me, I just moved up into a new position with a substantial pay increase so I've kind of earned it.

I've always wanted a pre-'64 winchester 94 and 92, if I get this '94 then I only need to find a '92 and i'll have an example of the three most common Winchester lever guns, the '73, '92, and '94

I love the lines of the pre 64 M70...that boss machined in the barrel for the rear sight, the hooded front sight, etc...and I only have one 30-06 currently so another one in THE quintessential and iconic hunting rifle would be nice

The Winchester 52 is the king of .22lr's, who wouldn't want a decent example in their safe? Especially the rarer banded stock version with the extra heavy bull barrel

The commercial colt 1911 is gorgeous, I can even forgive the blemish since the price is so good. If it gets to the point I can't forgive the blemish, for the $750 I have into it I can always have it refinished as a shooter.

I am going to give that Remington 1911-A1 a hard look over. That one will most likely come home with me, if I like what I see.

I honestly think i'm going to get the commercial colt outright, buy the remington, and put the three winchesters on layaway. We'll see how it pans out.

I wouldn't be able to shoot the Python and it's at the high water mark for prices so I don't any significant enjoyment or money to be made in that one.

The 29-4 I like but at $1500, no box or paperwork, is not a great investment or bargain.
safestuffer,

Yes, there are many Collectors that would Not set half of your finds down until they had Purchased them !

If that Remington Rand is all Original, it, most likely, will Not Last Long !!

Best Regards,

1 - 20 of 50 Posts