Colt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, Everyone: I see there are some folks from another handgun forum on this one as well, so I don't feel like a complete stranger. I happen to love Colts AND S&Ws. Now, can someone tell me whether there is some sort of Colt reference work such as the S&W Catalogue by Supica & Nahas? What might a very basic Colt library look like? Also, in the way of pricing: Is $950 a decent price for a Third Generation New Frontier 7.5-inch in .44 Special? Is .44 Special a popular caliber in the SAA & NF arena?
Enough questions. Thrilled to have found this site! Looking forward to buying and selling and gathering (and someday dispensing) good information.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Welcome to this Forum OneEyedJack. There is NO Colt comparible to the SCSW. The Wilson-Sutherland book is expensive and not "up to date" on later models. Wilson's Colt Heritage book attempts to fill this later model gap,but IMO,doesn't. Many "limited production" Colt D.A.s arent as extensively covered as in the SCSW. Earlier books,such as by Severn,Belden & others,also aren't as thorough as the SCSW. You probably know that New Frontiers don't bring the high price that regular SAAs bring,to collectors.$950 seems a "fair" price for the New Frontier in .44 Special,but certainly not a "steal". They aren't as common in .44 Special,as they are in .45 Colt. I have a 3rd Gen New Frontier,4 3/4 bbl that came in 44/40. I purchased and fitted a .44 Special cylinder to give me a convertible and the gun is a fine shooter with BOTH cylinders. In my opinion,3trd Gen. guns dont have the smoothness,fit & finish as the earlier guns. Maybe,you can get the gun for a little less,unless it is "NIB". Good Luck,Bud

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bud: Thanks for all that information. Yes, the NF is NIB and unturned. The gent selling it is the original owner (he's 90 years old) and I hesitate to haggle. My own father (95) probably would agree with that decision.

I wonder about getting a cylinder in .44-40 to go with a .44 Special SAA or NF? Should it work as well in that direction?

Again, thanks for the reply on this night when most folks are glued to their TVs. We haven't watched in more than 14 years. Don't think we've missed much, either.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts