Colt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,
I'm a new Colt owner with a 1917 and I am trying to find someone that can make some custom grips for me so I can use this Colt for some competition shoots that I participate in around the area. Already had it inspected, have a holster from El Paso Saddlery (Thumb break) and have taken it to the range. A friend of mine has a S&W model 25 mountain gun .45 with beautiful cocobolo grips and I wanted them for my revolver.... but no one makes them! (Sigh) Any help would be great!

Thanks,
Mike

IMAG1822.jpg

·
Registered
5,351 Posts
Your best bet would be to check around on Gun Broker and Ebay - I have a set of Ropers on my New Service Target that are great - But I wouldn't sell em though. Are you by chance in the Chicago area?? I live down in the South Subs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BroknAxl,
Those are very nice! Basically what I am looking for, but I am looking for something with finger grooves possibly and some checkering. To answer your question, I am from the Chicago area. I was born in Lincoln Park and grew up in Rodgers Park until I was 18 and joined the Navy. My father and step-mother moved down to Homewood and then even futher to Beecher, IL.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Welcome to the forum, Cnice clean 1917. The 1917 was built on Colt's largest frame so finger groove grips may be hard to find. The 1917 or New Service did not have a letter frame size designation as did other models. So any grip that fits a New service/1917 will work. Good Luck.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. While they are not like anything on your wish list, Pachmayr once made Presentation grips for the New Service. They are rubber w/o finger grips, but they are considerably better than factory grips. I use them on a few shooter New Services, and they make them much more comfortable to shoot (especially the .357!). There is currently a set for sale on eBay, and although I can't insert a link here, if you use the advanced search function on eBay and look for "new service pachmayr presentation", you will find them. There are five days left in the auction. and they're at a whole $0.90 now. I suspect that they'll go for less than $15, and it will be worth it getting them just to try. If you don't like them, I'll buy them from you.

Buck

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
ChiGuy82
Welcome to the forum. I think you will like it here, congratulations on a nice gun.
Frank

1 - 7 of 7 Posts