Colt Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've come across a pistola and believe it to be an 1851 Navy revolver, but I have no real good reference materials to confirm what it is, or to determine it's value in it's present condition.

I was hoping to find some Colt gurus here to help out with the ID and maybe it's worth.

It appears to be a .36 cal. or smaller and is a smallish frame. The wedge/pin is not holding the barrel very tightly in place any longer, and it's missing one screw in the grip frame near the base of the trigger guard.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
The forum doesn't see enough of these older guns. Thanks for sharing the pics. You should be proud of it.

What other Colts do you have?

Welcome aboard and we hope to hear more from you.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,913 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

My specialty is post-war Colt Double Action revolvers, but I have a fair working knowledge of most Colt's.

With that provision: I don't think you have a 1851 Navy.
I think it's an 1849 Pocket Model.

These were small framed revolvers very similar in appearance to the '51 Navy.

Caliber was .31, and they were made in both 5 and 6 shot models.
Barrel lengths of 3", 4". 5" and 6" were standard.
There should be a stagecoach hold-up scene on the cylinder, if it's still legible.

Serial numbers ranged from 12,000 to 340,000. These were made from 1850 to 1873.

Value depends on the exact version.
Yours appears to be a First type, since it has a brass trigger guard and backstrap.
Originally, the brass trigger guard and backstrap were silver plated.

The Second type had a steel trigger guard and backstrap.

A First type value runs in price from $500. in 10% condition, to $1100 in 50%, to $3500 in 95%.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, guys. I needed to know whether this should be stored in the safe with the rest of the guns or in a safe deposit box. Considering it's condition I guess it's safe at home. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

No other colts at this time, since selling off a couple 1911's a few years ago. A Gold Cup and an Officer's Model.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts