Colt Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,
Been kicking around on gun boards for models I have for some time all the while lusting for a Colt Python. I have just aquired something that gives me a reason to jump on board.

To shoot or not to shoot that is the question. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
What is the current value unfired and what would it be if I shoot it?

Brandy new in the box with papers never fired 80's Python 6" stainless.

·
Registered
6,949 Posts
Shoot it!

Python values are going up. Even if you shoot it and sell in a few years you should at least get your money back out of it. If this were a NIB Python from 1956 you might consider putting it away, but my advice would be to enjoy it through shooting.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Welcome aboard & congrats.
Pythons values are at an all time high. With everyone finding out that Colt will no longer be producing them, the people that have been waiting around wishing they had one, are currently Pony-ing (pun intended) up the cash for one.
the nice thing about stainless is that as long as you don't bang up the gun and take care of it, it will always clean up nicely and look new even after shooting it. Unlike constant wear and tear on the blued guns.
It's your gun & your choice. I'm sure you'll enjoy it either way.

Again, welcome to the world of the horse.

Jeff (GUNKWAZY)

·
Registered
689 Posts
Wait till the Colt Bug really bites you... When that happens you will surley come across a safe queen or two that you will not have to ponder the shoot or don't shoot scenario... But for now, I would shoot this one while seeking out that special Python...

Good luck in your quest and welcome to the Forum...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will use it for its intended purpose so I am going to shoot it. Can't see owning a gun and not knowing how it shoots.

I am trading out a client so I need to tell him a value.He bought it new and never used it. I'm thinkin maybe uhh.... $200.00 /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I just need some knowledgeable confirmation on the price so I can tell him you Colt guys said that was what it's worth.
/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
991 Posts
Most Python die hards go for collecting the blue guns, because that's what the Python was all about; that gorgeous mirror polished blue finish.

If I had a stainless steel Python, I'd probably shoot it, and take real good care of it.

But if you are seriously concerned about future value, all Pythons will be worth more if left unfired.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am happy just to come across a Python let alone one in perfect new condition… even though it is stainless.
When my client told me about it I was hoping it was blue cause like everyone else I really wanted a blue one. The stainless is very functional though, easy to care for and always looks good. I have a S&W 686 that sill looks better than new even though I have a couple of thousand rounds through it.

So ...$200.00 maybe add $25 cause its NIB?

·
Registered
991 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
So ...$200.00 maybe add $25 cause its NIB?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not exactly sure what you are saying. If you can get a NIB Python for $200, you're one of the luckiest people alive on the planet right now.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Nice web site Steve, and welcome to the forum.

I don't think anyone wants to become an accessory to your crime, so that's why no one is validating your low ball value. I'm sure you are joking, but blatant low balling of the uninformed is kind of frowned upon.

It would be easy for you to determine a value by going to http://www.gunbroker.com/ and perform some searches on Python Stainless. You will soon find the prices for this type of gun runs easily over $1000.

Now add your PRK factor of it not being on their approved list of hand guns and it makes it even more difficult to obtain and hence higher priced.

Your client (most likely) knows what he paid for it. A mid to late 80's stainless gun like this retailed for something like $799.95 plus tax, even though he likely paid less. So if you offer him some ridiculous value in trade, you run the risk of loosing his future business.

Do the right thing and offer him a reasonable value. You are already making money off the work you are performing for him.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Current "Blue Book" value is $975 + a 10% premium for NIB condition. I don't know about your area, but guns in general around me are priced about 10-20% higher than blue book. This should give you a starting point.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I was hoping you were 'joking' or it wouldn't be a "client" much longer.
Thats the trouble when someone is NOT 'straight up ' with another, later on YOUR name would be 'mud' when they found out the "truth".
Yes, I know, people do this ALL the time, I don't know "how" they could look in the mirror........ /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sheeesh Scoldilocks...you guys are a tough crowd. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Been working with this particular client for 30 years so I ain't too worried about goofin the relationship.
I saw prices on gunbroker but nothing similar and they are asking prices.
I looked it up in the blue book and found the same info as Tom posted.

I am wondering what people would actually pay ...street price for this particular gun so I can make a fair offer.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Hey Steve,

I live in CA too. You are very fortunate that you found what you did. Remember that you cannot get that piece from anywhere else in the country and bring it in. To buy a Python or any other Colt revolver for that matter it has to be already here in CA and it needs to be owned by someone and not an FFL. The DOJ made sure of that with the Drop list. Since you are "fortunate enough?" to live in this state you have found a piece of gold in the desert. I have been paying $1000 and up for them and they are not NIB. I bought a Stainless 6" 3 months ago that would rate 95% no box and paid $1150. That doesn't include my flight twice to So. Cal from No. Cal. for the paperwork.

FC

·
Banned
1,129 Posts
i would think a 1000 offer would be fair since the fellow apparently dosent use/need it. as was said thats more than he paid for it originaly i`m sure. as for the shooting that would be a nice one to shoot as the stainless/rubber wont show much wear and unless droped and dinged wont depreciate much.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the input men. I'm thinking $1000.00 would be a fair offer and he could always say no.
Can't wait to shoot the thing but got to get the ok on the deal before I feel good about that. He told me to shoot it and not worry about it. So I am not.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts