·
Premium Member
1,268 Posts
Yelp I saw it on their Facebook page.
Vic

·
Registered
9,459 Posts
For that kind of coin it should have better sights on it. Still...the Royal Colt bluing is beautiful.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Is the royal blue finish worth almost double the price of a regular traditional finish?

·
Registered
142 Posts
It took alot more work and polishing to get that finish but worth is a perspective. To me, I'm ok with Colts MSRP for this 1911. Others won't touch it. If they do bring it out on a python the MSRP might be too high for me to touch also. We'll wait and see.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Most that will buy those in Royal Blue probably won't with the intention of shooting them. The cost to produce the Royal Blue is why they don't do all of them that way anymore. It is a truly beautiful finish though. We got one of the normal classic 1911's in the other day. Kind of scratching my head as to why they put a short trigger in it. The Royal Blue one at least has the long trigger in it.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Saw the announcement this morning and lost it. Found my LGS listed as a stocking dealer. Already know him well and called ASAP. Was told MSRP is $1499, my price is $1399 and gave him a deposit over the phone. Ninety minutes later I got a call back saying no releaseYET buy have an order confirmation number. I don't remember when they turned out a Royal Blue finish.

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
Remember, the name they put on the finish isn't about the bluing. It's about the polish. Also note that the new high polish stainless Pythons are polished in tumblers. I would bet that's a process Colt is perfecting, and using on this 1911. Doesn't take much work compared to the old days of hand buffing by experienced, vetted craftsmen using walrus leather buffing wheels. If you look at the polish in S&W classics (modern), it's pretty good too, and I bet it's also automated. The only reason they'd charge $1500 for the "royal blue" 1911 is because they can.

·
Registered
10,377 Posts
Nothing they can do will ever match the quality of the polish when they used the wooden polishing wheels faced with fine cow hide. The wheels were contoured to match the part being polished. Holding a part on a buffing wheel for a longer period of time doesn't necessarily result in a better polish.

They could never polish the underside of this hammer on a buffing wheel.

·
Registered
101 Posts
They had a special 1911 model with a high RB finish years ago according to the Blue Book, I don't think many were made. Would be very nice to own one, would look awesome with the ivory grips currently on my Gold Cup

·
Registered
642 Posts
Nothing they can do will ever match the quality of the polish when they used the wooden polishing wheels faced with fine cow hide. The wheels were contoured to match the part being polished. Holding a part on a buffing wheel for a longer period of time doesn't necessarily result in a better polish.

They could never polish the underside of this hammer on a buffing wheel.

Actually it is better than the "old days"! The new ways are shall we say much improved.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts