Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently found a nickel SAA 5 1/2" in .44-40 that I am very pleased with. I thought it deserved a new holster that was a bit fancy to match the nickel revolver. I build quite a few holsters for clients among other items and have been very pleased with using dye resistors. I decided to draw up a new tooling design for this holster and use the dye resistor on the flower, stems, and leaves. I'd like to see your honest comments. Is it too much, too gaudy, just right on a Mexican Loop holster? Please let me know your opinions.

IMG_1797.jpg

·
Registered
622 Posts
throck3,

I also do leather work for myself and others.............I think what you've created is spot on for your SAA..............
I like it , and would wear it anywhere............

That is SO nice and period correct, maybe it's time to start planning the matching Belt...............

Tom

·
Registered
8,633 Posts
Great holster design and colors. I never heard of dye resistors. What is it and how does it work? Does it mean dye will not work where you put that on first over certain parts like the flower?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Great holster design and colors. I never heard of dye resistors. What is it and how does it work? Does it mean dye will not work where you put that on first over certain parts like the flower?
Wyatt, you guessed it. It is a solution that you paint over parts of your tooling that prevents dyes from coloring the underlying items. A lot of these new antiquing dyes are acrylic, while the old traditional dyes are oil based. I don't know if the resistors will work with oil based dyes. I suspect they will not.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts