Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, a dealer I use told me he has a Colt Army .38 Spec. New Jersey State Police commemorative revolver and sent pics. 6" barrel, blue (almost looks Royal Blue in pics), checkered walnut "service" stocks with gold medallion. Comes in a blue box with a white outer sleeve similar to my mid 2000's Colt SAA. In the box is a blue and silver Colt marked padlock and all the other niceties including the orange hang tag. (Color could be a bit off on my computer and me being somewhat red/green color blind sometimes doesn't help identifying certain shades of colors, so I will call it orange). Serial number is I14XXNJSP. Can't find that serial number on any list I have available at this time. There appears to be no markings on the gun other than caliber, make and model. Any help here? This one is really calling me, but not sure what it is worth. NIB (or not fired since factory), all original packing including plastic bag with the storage "gunk" that was applied to the pistol at the factory. Appreciate any ideas. He has not priced it yet, so want to find out what a reasonable offer would be. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
These seem to get $1,000-$1,200 depending on which dealer is selling. This is a commemorative, so the market is soft on them, like commemorative 1911s or SAAs.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the information. It is a nice piece, but I wouldn't pay that for it. Anyway, when were they produced, if you don't mind answering? Again WW, thanks for the help!

·
Premium Member
2,029 Posts
They were very well made, and really outside the box for the timeframe they were done. I just can't get over the milled out area for the missing rear site. At least on all the ones I've seen, they tried to make a fixed site gun on a frame milled for adjustable. That kills it for me.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
There appears to be no markings on the gun other than caliber, make and model. Any help here?

It doesn't sound like the commemorative model. The commemorative had gold pinstripes all over it. The one you're looking at is likely an "overrun" without all the yahoo graphics. More desirable in my opinion. I think a $1,000+/- would be ok, but less is certainly better :).

Commemorative.

Overrun.

·
Premium Member
5,800 Posts
The ones I've seen sell over the last couple of years have been in the $1,500+ range. I believe Fugate Firearms has sold a few for about $1,800. If you could get the gun for $1,000 - $1,200, you'd be doing very well. The one thing to check is the sideplate finish. A lot of these guns have sideplates that don't quite match the rest of the gun - sometimes the variation is subtle; other times it's very noticeable.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks again for all the answers. I have only seen pics so far as the dealer is out of state. He is asking around $1100 for it. I think I will pass, but will be glad to pass on information if someone is interested.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts