Colt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,925 Posts
Man I hope so. Looks way better than The night cobra I almost bought!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Looks like the Cobra but with a different barrel. It doesn't have an adjustable rear sight like the old King Cobra, so maybe it would be more appropriate to call it Lawman? Or maybe they should call it Python to attract more buyers? ;)

·
Registered
547 Posts
So adding an inch to the barrel makes it a King Cobra? So, will making it in a blued version then become a Python? More horrible marketing from Colt. I suppose they could cerakote one in a snakeskin finish and call it a Boa. I'm glad to see new guns from them, but their approach is way wrong.

·
W.E.Coyote Acme Computer Genius
1,165 Posts
So adding an inch to the barrel makes it a King Cobra? So, will making it in a blued version then become a Python? More horrible marketing from Colt. I suppose they could cerakote one in a snakeskin finish and call it a Boa. I'm glad to see new guns from them, but their approach is way wrong.
The proposed King Cobra is a
357 Magnum.
Not just a 38 Special like the new release Cobra.
So There has to be other differences besides the barrel length.
Physics demands that it be so.

·
Registered
70 Posts
So the cobra and king cobra are back, will there be others (and I am not being sarcastic here, I just dont know if they will bring back the Anaconda next)?

·
Premium Member
1,106 Posts
The proposed King Cobra is a
357 Magnum.
Not just a 38 Special like the new release Cobra.
So There has to be other differences besides the barrel length.
Physics demands that it be so.

Of course the cylinder would have to be longer. Changes in metallurgy may have been required too. S&W makes a 11 oz. 357. because of the metals used.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I get the frustration with the name. It should have a longer, graceful relief cut on the top of the frame, a tapered lug at the muzzle, adjustable sights, and the image on the barrel. A better name might have been Magnum Cobra.

Having said that, if it is released and priced as indicated above, it's a great move. The polish is right, the front sight is right, and that's a great barrel length for an all around .357. As pictured it's a really nice looking revolver. I hope it sells like crazy.

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
So the cobra and king cobra are back, will there be others (and I am not being sarcastic here, I just dont know if they will bring back the Anaconda next)?
If they would make a new Anaconda on that frame it would have to be a 3-shot to fit the big holes in the cylinder.

Reactions: webley455

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,090 Posts
When Colt introduced the "SF" framed stainless revolvers in the late 80's they almost certainly had the intention of bringing out a series of revolvers based on that frame, just like they did with the old "D" frame.
All that failed when most double action revolvers were discontinued around 2000.

I suspect that Colt was waiting to see if the new Cobra was a success, then intends to bring out a new series of revolvers based on the new Cobra.

I predicted that if the new Cobra made the grade, one of the first of a new series would be a .357 Magnum. Since we now have a new Cobra, logically the next step up would be a new King Cobra to reflect the Magnum chambering.
It can easily be offered in barrel lengths of 2, 3, and 4 inches, and in hammerless models to cover a wide market for a small .357.

If Colt follows the path they planned in the 90's, we would probably be seeing an adjustable sighted version to replace the old Diamondback at some future point, probably including a .22 model if the plan succeeds.

Right now I don't see a medium or large frame DA revolver based on the Cobra. The market for larger, longer barreled DA revolvers is likely not big enough right now to make something from Colt viable. That can change.
Colt can use the small frame new Cobra to make a wide series of revolvers all based on it to cover a market by offering different barrel lengths and calibers up to .357, different finishes and options like hammerless models.

Colt has a long history of using one base gun and offering many versions of it to avoid having to make an entirely different firearm.
Colt can use the same new Cobra to make a number of guns and not have to offer a totally different size frame model.

·
Registered
633 Posts
My gut reaction is that Colt decided to get their feet wet again with the introduction or....re-introduction of their snubnose revolver. Would they make the King Cobra, Python, Anaconda, DiamondBack or the Official Police again?

Revolvers have been supplanted by autos. A whole generation & a half have abandoned revolvers for semi-auto pistols. And, there are some really great models to choose from. I bet S&W and Colt sell way more autos than revolvers.

A special 1000 run of Pythons & a 1000 run of Anacondas would sell out even at U$2000.00 each......

Reactions: Independence

·
Registered
117 Posts
... A special 1000 run of Pythons & a 1000 run of Anacondas would sell out even at U$2000.00 each......
^ That's a fact.

I don't want to throw a turd in the punchbowl, but it's something that's been on my mind since Colt recently dropped another gun from their lineup, and that's Colt's apparent aversion to bluing. Maybe it's related to sales trends, production costs, or ???
If Colt continues down the road with these new revolvers, will real blued guns make an appearance?

·
Registered
9,941 Posts
All the old tooling was allegedly scrapped so tooling up costs would probably be prohibitive for a run of only a thousand revolvers.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I bet TALO does what Colt should. Apparently the marketing department was scrapped along with the old tooling and equipment. The "Unofficial Cop" is probably what the Colt aficionados are working on right now!

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
A 3" 357 Magnum will be a welcome addition and as far as tooling up though don't need to. Like the Cobra all the parts are made by outside vendors then shipped to Colt for assembly.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts