Colt Forum banner

New King Cobra; Is This True?

7K views 34 replies 23 participants last post by  Reamer 
#1 ·
Looks a little like the DS II I had a while back.

Attachments

See less See more
#13 ·
If they would make a new Anaconda on that frame it would have to be a 3-shot to fit the big holes in the cylinder.

Reactions: webley455
#11 ·
I get the frustration with the name. It should have a longer, graceful relief cut on the top of the frame, a tapered lug at the muzzle, adjustable sights, and the image on the barrel. A better name might have been Magnum Cobra.

Having said that, if it is released and priced as indicated above, it's a great move. The polish is right, the front sight is right, and that's a great barrel length for an all around .357. As pictured it's a really nice looking revolver. I hope it sells like crazy.

#14 · (Edited)
When Colt introduced the "SF" framed stainless revolvers in the late 80's they almost certainly had the intention of bringing out a series of revolvers based on that frame, just like they did with the old "D" frame.
All that failed when most double action revolvers were discontinued around 2000.

I suspect that Colt was waiting to see if the new Cobra was a success, then intends to bring out a new series of revolvers based on the new Cobra.

I predicted that if the new Cobra made the grade, one of the first of a new series would be a .357 Magnum. Since we now have a new Cobra, logically the next step up would be a new King Cobra to reflect the Magnum chambering.
It can easily be offered in barrel lengths of 2, 3, and 4 inches, and in hammerless models to cover a wide market for a small .357.

If Colt follows the path they planned in the 90's, we would probably be seeing an adjustable sighted version to replace the old Diamondback at some future point, probably including a .22 model if the plan succeeds.

Right now I don't see a medium or large frame DA revolver based on the Cobra. The market for larger, longer barreled DA revolvers is likely not big enough right now to make something from Colt viable. That can change.
Colt can use the small frame new Cobra to make a wide series of revolvers all based on it to cover a market by offering different barrel lengths and calibers up to .357, different finishes and options like hammerless models.

Colt has a long history of using one base gun and offering many versions of it to avoid having to make an entirely different firearm.
Colt can use the same new Cobra to make a number of guns and not have to offer a totally different size frame model.

#15 ·
My gut reaction is that Colt decided to get their feet wet again with the introduction or....re-introduction of their snubnose revolver. Would they make the King Cobra, Python, Anaconda, DiamondBack or the Official Police again?

Revolvers have been supplanted by autos. A whole generation & a half have abandoned revolvers for semi-auto pistols. And, there are some really great models to choose from. I bet S&W and Colt sell way more autos than revolvers.

A special 1000 run of Pythons & a 1000 run of Anacondas would sell out even at U$2000.00 each......

Reactions: Independence
#17 ·
... A special 1000 run of Pythons & a 1000 run of Anacondas would sell out even at U$2000.00 each......
^ That's a fact.

I don't want to throw a turd in the punchbowl, but it's something that's been on my mind since Colt recently dropped another gun from their lineup, and that's Colt's apparent aversion to bluing. Maybe it's related to sales trends, production costs, or ???
If Colt continues down the road with these new revolvers, will real blued guns make an appearance?

#18 ·
All the old tooling was allegedly scrapped so tooling up costs would probably be prohibitive for a run of only a thousand revolvers.

#22 ·
This is not meant to bash the new Cobra's or new King Cobra, I like them:

However, a new Python would be nothing like the old. This would bug the heck out of the market that they would be aiming for. 21st., Century polishing and bluing, MIM parts, 21st., Century fitting (Or should I say not fitting of parts), and changes that would have to be made to make it feasible for Colt to do. If that's what people want, that's what you would get for a 2K Python again from Colt.

If you wanted one as close as possible to the old Python's re-released, IMHO it would have to sell for at least 3K or more. And then corners would still have to be cut. Even Korth is getting away from the labor intensive super high polished blued finishes.

#23 · (Edited)
I don't particularly like the looks of the new KC , but love the fact of the 3" offering . If it was blackened , I would be very interested...... I could live with the grips . I liked the new Cobra just because of the fact it was a new revolver from Colt that many people said was " flying pigs " possibility . I would have probably bought one mainly because it is a new product .
I bought the Night Cobra because I really like everything about it . When the black KC comes out , I will purchase if released.

Regarding new Python , I feel they would be correctly aiming in the 21st century market - where they need to.
There were hundreds of thousands of Pythons released until the early 2000's.
There are approx. 10k Colt Forum members - which would be among the biggest alienation.
So they guys that love the only Python available grew up in the fifties, sixties , seventies and eighties.
Colt can not succeed in the DA revolver market with these potential customers as a base in the 21st century

So yeah , based on those big number variations I think they doing right.
i just spent lot of money in the last 40 days on 2 blued original snakes .
But before that , in August I purchased a Night Cobra ........ REAL HAPPY WITH IT !

Attachments

#24 ·
This "special run" thing keeps popping up re Pythons.

Frankly, it displays an extreme ignorance of what would be involved.
Even with modern machinery, building a Python to original Python standards would result in at least a two-year set-up period and sales at $3000 per.

A special run of only 1000 units wouldn't begin to repay development costs.
New forging dies at the outside forge, old drawings converted to new programs (both CNC and other processes), parts vendors established, parts storage & inventory control, training of competent employees to handle that volume, inserting among existing production runs that can't keep up with existing demand in other models, and so on.

No special limited Python run could possibly balance out, especially with a company as inept in other areas as Colt is.
Seriously- people need to be realistic about it. Just not gonna happen.

Colt MAY bring out a "Python II", but I guarantee it will not be built like the originals.
Denis

#27 · (Edited)
Yes...it will probably be officially announced at the SHOT Show and then a six-month wait before any are seen by distributors. Brokers will then buy them all and post them on Gunbrokers for double MSRP. After a year and a half they'll be available to we mere mortals at MSRP or below once the big buying rush subsides.

If we're lucky and it's real.

#28 ·
Yes...it will probably be officially announced at the SHOT Show and then a six-month wait before any are seen by distributors. Brokers will then buy them all and post them on Gunbrokers for double MSRP. After a year and a half they'll be available to we mere mortals at MSRP or below once the big buying fish subsides.

If we're lucky and it's real.
That's about what I figured, but assuming this is all true I think it shows that Colt's foray back into DA revolvers was at least successful enough to start expanding the lineup beyond the subtle small changes available for the Cobra.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.