Colt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guy’s - new to the forum and Colt revolvers
Recently purchased one of the new Colt King Cobra DAO revolvers. Beautiful gun - very well made and finished.
BIG problem though (at least for me). I’m not sure whether it’s on account of the width, angled edges, lack of curvature or a combination but after 30-40 pulls of the trigger in double action mode my finger is killing me! Never had the issue before and I’ve done a lot of revolver shooting. Has anyone else experienced this issue? Trying to figure out what to do. Regards

·
Registered
280 Posts
My answer came from Mr. Pachmayr. My finger was getting bit by the trigger guard. Filling the gap eliminated the problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My answer came from Mr. Pachmayr. My finger was getting bit by the trigger guard. Filling the gap eliminated the problem.
Thanks for the reply but the issue is my trigger finger on the trigger - not my middle finger off the guard

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
My Official Police a Colt 1950's revolver had a 5 line serrated trigger and I could not shoot it at all. This Colt was too nice to sand down the trigger so I bought an Army Special smooth trigger and eventually a smooth OP; OM Python trigger.

With a stainless Colt you just might be able to redress the trigger, but you'll need to, or should, disassemble the gun to do it.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,611 Posts
It's not unusual for shooters to need to smooth up a revolver trigger with too-sharp serrations or sharp edges.

As above it would be best to remove the trigger so you can get unimpeded access to it, but you can also tape the gun up to protect it from slips, and to prevent sanding dust from entering the action.

Tape is cheap..... tape the DICKENS out of it covering everything except the actual area of the trigger you want to work on, and completely cover every opening into the gun.

The idea is to just lightly break the sharp edges and tops of the serrations.
There are a number of ways to do this, including using rubber bonded abrasives or fine grit sanding drums in a Dremel or flex shaft, or by just wrapping some fine grit wet or dry sand cloth around a dowel.

Just do enough to slightly bevel the sharpness, then use a brush to thoroughly remove all sanding dust before removing the tape.
Done correctly you'd have to look very closely at the trigger to see any change, but the sharpness will be smoothed.
This shouldn't take more then a couple of passes on the sharp areas, so unless you want to go to a totally smooth trigger, don't over do it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Maybe as an experiment tape the serrations First and make a faux smooth service and see if that helps then you know what you need to do

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys for the responses - I’m going to take the revolver apart and break the edges on the trigger with some fine filing/sanding - just an FYI - the new king cobra’s trigger is actually smooth - it’s narrow and has relatively hard (90 deg) edges - hopefully a little radius on the edges will help - I’ll report on how it turned out

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So today I removed the trigger from the king cobra and filed / polished a more pronounced radius on both sides of the trigger. First time taking apart a Colt revolver - getting the trigger and the return spring back into the frame took a little finagling! It was a learning experience. Anyway, the trigger does feel better dry firing. We’ll see how it feels under recoil once I get it to the range. So far so good.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts