Colt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I spent a couple of hours last night familiarizing myself with a new 6940 I bought a few days ago. This is the first AR I have owned. I took it apart to clean and lube it using some Mobil I on most of the parts; CH, trigger and hammer, pins, and bolt components. I used some synthetic Shooters Choice grease on the bolt carrier. I havent fired a rifle in many many years until today. I had a great time shooting this gun st the 50 yd. I shot about 70 rds of Fed 556 sitting at a bench using a plastic rest that range provides. The M4 ran flawlessly. This is an awesome gun. I am shooting left-hand and havent messed with the open sites until I have more practice. Shooting to the upper left but hit on center five times with multiple shots of three in tight groups. Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Now where are those pigs? My son flys in from Australia in a few weeks so I may take him on a few day hunts while he is here.

Attachments

·
Registered
145 Posts
I have no clue as to what to expect for general accuracy for shooting an AR15 fresh out of the box. My 6920 was way off at 50yds. It probably took a full 30rd. mag before I even got close. You're close enough to get it dialed in nice and tight with little effort.

If I knew where those feral hogs were I'd join you. I'm pretty sure that they're all on private farmland in Texas and probably a few other Southern states. They breed like rabbits.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hello Coltle6920. I am very impressed w/ my new carbine and i am suprised with my shooting considering that my eyes require glasses in my old age. I haven't picked up a rifle in 20 years+. I may have to put a scope on this gun so I can get dialed in more accurately.
Hogs are everywhere down here. Day hunts are easy to arrange. Some farmers/ranchers charge as little as $35/pig.

·
Registered
17 Posts
JDP, could you pm me more information on who provides hunts that cheap? I've been wanting to hunt some feral hogs for a while now.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know of a place about 45 miles south of San Antonio. I think he owns about 160 acres. I am not home today but I will to a little searching and put out some inquiries over the next couple of days so I can put together a list of places.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Congratulations JDP on your new Colt and nice shooting! I love my LE6940 that I purchased last May. Interestingly enough my POI was slightly high left as well at 50m using the stock BUIS but that was easily adjusted out. I've stretched it out to 100m, if you can call that stretching it out, and found it to be quite accurate on a variety of ammo at those distances. My eyesight isn't what it use to be even with glasses but decided not to go with a magnified optic since I'll probably never shoot over 100m with it. Best of luck with it! Being a Colt, I can't imagine much can or will go wrong.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Still practicing from the 50 yd but getting better. I havent put any type of scope on the gun. Just using the open sights.
Pattern Design Pattern Textile Games

·
Registered
145 Posts
You're getting there! I watched numerous videos on using iron sights and still couldn't get the hang of it. It got to the point very quickly where I wasn't having fun anymore so I mounted a scope. Are you at least using a benchrest? That should steady your shots.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am using the plastic stepped bench-rest that the range provides. I need to get a sandbag to drape over it so that gun doesnt move all over the place.

·
Registered
145 Posts
My initial problem was getting a good trigger pull. When you fire it don't release the trigger. Instead slowly allow the trigger to move forward until you either hear or feel a click and stop there. It's a shorter pull to fire again and might just help stop the gun from moving so much. It certainly helped me.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Trigger may be the first mod I make to the gun. Trigger pull is pretty heavy and gritty. I would imagine that one could shoot more accurately with a lighter, smoother trigger.

·
Registered
20 Posts
You're getting there! I watched numerous videos on using iron sights and still couldn't get the hang of it. It got to the point very quickly where I wasn't having fun anymore so I mounted a scope. Are you at least using a benchrest? That should steady your shots.
I'm with you there. A 4x scope of any kind really increases the enjoyment of the Colt imo. I got the iron sights dialed in but target acquisition was just a PIA.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Here's a picture shooting from 100yds at 5, 8 and 10inch steel.

Shooting range Shooting sport Shooting Practical shooting Sport venue

I shoot with my buddies wife and son from here with 22's, a 30-30 and our AR15s. The red targets are for my 22mag and 45 handguns. When the wife goes back inside we move back to 200-250 yds. Unfortunately the terrain doesn't allow for anything farther without getting a bulldozer in there and leveling the ground. Wish we had the money to do more. Need some ideas to keep from getting bored!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Coltle6920, that is some wide open space! How far back is the hill in the background? Can you shoot that far out? Are there any antelope around that you can hunt?
BTW, my son was at the Great American Beer Festival in Denver this past weekend.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Where we shoot is a development of private properties. Each lot is 35 acres. That hill in the background is not public open space but it gives us a safe background to shoot at for now.

There are some herds of longhorns in the area but I don't think they're hunted. We're real close to the foothills and about 20miles south of Wyoming. I don't know anyone that hunts but I believe most of the out of state hunters go to places like Gunnison, Telluride or Grand Junction.

BTW, my son was at the Great American Beer Festival in Denver this past weekend.
Denver has a few ethnic festivals downtown that are real popular. There are also many micro breweries in Colorado. I stay out of the metro area at all costs. The traffic is horrendous and unless you know your way around the side streets it's a place to avoid.

You might not want to do it but I would really suggest buying a scope for your gun. Unless you have eyes like an eagle you're just shooting at an area with the iron sights. With a properly zeroed in scope you're looking at a closer more defined target. I have the same problems as you with holding the gun steady, an erratic trigger pull and aging eyesight. I'm hitting a 5" steel target regularly at 100yds so I'm sure you can greatly improve your groups at 50yds.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Very nice buy, the 6940 is an exceptional piece, with a great value, hope you got yours for a sweet price, it will serve you well for the long haul!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I am extremely happy with the LE6940 I bought new about six weeks ago. I have already run a 1000 rounds through my new M4! Gun has worked flawlessly except for just one round that jammed in receiver before chambering and it got creased or dented. I did have some fresh grease on the BCG that may have interferred with loading. Thats the only thing i can think of that may have caused incomplete feeding. I am running Fed M855 rds.
I am ready to open another case of ammo but I am now curious as to how long a barrel will last if its not overheated or overcleaned :confused:. I have added a couple of mods such as a Magpul ACS stock (with larger cheek area), a Nikon M-223 scope, and I just got a Grip Pod to help steady gun at the range and elsewhere. I also want to buy another hand grip but the Magpul Miad Gen 1.1 is on backorder.
I am tempted to buy another Colt M4 now but I would like to find an LE901-16s, especially if its priced right.
Gun Firearm Rifle Trigger Air gun

·
Registered
260 Posts
"I am tempted to buy another Colt M4 now but I would like to find an LE901-16s, especially if its priced right."

I went the other way. 6920 SOCOM, the 6450 (9mm) and then a 6940...I am also looking at the LE901-16s...they are north of $2k here in PA! Considering trading in one of my Pythons to cover the cost!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Seabee-CO, I havent seen an LE901 in any shops down here. I have no idea what the production numbers are but I have seen them on the net at list or more from individuals.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts