1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
A word of caution, 22 short is not the same as 22 CB cap. The way I understand it the CB cap uses only a primer as propellant and 22 short has smokeless powder. I’d think the CB cap would be fine but I’m not sure about the shorts.

Tom

·
Registered
359 Posts
I had one of those and shot it with Aguila Colibri .22 ammo, which has even less pressure than .22 CB shorts. CB shorts are ok, but as others have said, do not use regular .22 shorts.

·
Registered
622 Posts
To each his own. I would never encourage anyone to do anything they think is dangerous. However, you guys have apparently never made or shot a zip gun:D
LOL!................Yeah, Automobile Antennas as barrels, but I was young then, and..............I don't like to admit it, now.............However, I'm Lucky............Still have all my fingers!

Tom

·
Registered
12,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A word of caution, 22 short is not the same as 22 CB cap. The way I understand it the CB cap uses only a primer as propellant and 22 short has smokeless powder. I’d think the CB cap would be fine but I’m not sure about the shorts.

Tom
.22 Long in Black Powder, I would expect to have a little more 'ooomph' than present Day .22 Short, but...this is just a guess.

.22 Long was 29 Grain Bullet, and 5 Grains of Black Powder...Cartridge Case was same length as the later .22 Long rifle which we still have today.

I can pull now-a-days .22 Long Rifle Cartridges which have a lighter than usual Bullet, dump the Smokeless, put in Black Powder, put the Bullet back in, crimp...even a 36 Grain Bullet would be fine, I am sure, and I could even use one grain less BP if I wanted.

I am sure these little Revolvers were meant to have .22 Long, which came out in 1871, as well as anything of the day then, which was shorter.

I wonder what the Colt Advertisements of the day said?

I'll have to do some "Googles" and see if I can find some.

Thanks for the cautionary word there Mosby!

I will heed it..!

·
Registered
368 Posts
.22 Long in Black Powder, I would expect to have a little more 'ooomph' than present Day .22 Short, but...this is just a guess.

.22 Long was 29 Grain Bullet, and 5 Grains of Black Powder...Cartridge Case was same length as the later .22 Long rifle which we still have today.

I can pull now-a-days .22 Long Rifle Cartridges which have a lighter than usual Bullet, dump the Smokeless, put in Black Powder, put the Bullet back in, crimp...even a 36 Grain Bullet would be fine, I am sure, and I could even use one grain less BP if I wanted.

I am sure these little Revolvers were meant to have .22 Long, which came out in 1871, as well as anything of the day then, which was shorter.

I wonder what the Colt Advertisements of the day said?

I'll have to do some "Googles" and see if I can find some.

Thanks for the cautionary word there Mosby!

I will heed it..!
There is a short 1876 Colt ad announcement on this listing: https://ancestryguns.com/shop/engraved-etched-panel-colt-new-line-22-revolver-antique-nickel-plated-single-action-w-pearl-grips/?mc_cid=407cbe02f3&mc_eid=6da02a420a

1 - 14 of 14 Posts