Colt Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As many of you know, I started documenting all the differences between the multiple M45A1 variations out there. For those of you unfamiliar with the spreadsheet where I am tracking this, it is viewable here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11x9Mqeugjr9i2Va2YpXwF9SCrjixWZFybcuakxm-Ne0/edit?usp=sharing

I recently was sent these pics by a buddy, and since it's something I haven't seen before, and thought I would ask the group here if anyone has seen others out in the wild like this.

I'm seeing a couple of differences from the familiar IonBond Blue Box. The laser appears to have burnt the finish leaving a blackened serial and other marks, the "zero" in the serial has a hash mark thru it, and in this particular case, the UID data next to the Data Matrix looks like the font has changed and it is angled up to avoid the slot in the rail.

All of this makes me wonder at what point is the laser engraving being applied?

Here is the gun in question:

For contrast, here are the markings on my IonBond Prototype. Notice the serial does not have a hash, and the marks are not blackened.

Anyone else see the new blackened serial after 18k?

·
Registered
10,475 Posts
On my IonBond M45A1 the laser markings aren't as deep and blackened as on that example and are very clear. My pistol isn't that high a serial number either.

I'm also guessing the slash mark through the zero is to eliminate confusion with the letter "O"...which seems all too easy to do.

·
Registered
24 Posts
With all the labor turnover that they've had at Colt, I would not be too far fetched that the operator on the laser marker held the switch down a beat too long or that the machine is out of calibration.

·
Registered
2 Posts
As many of you know, I started documenting all the differences between the multiple M45A1 variations out there. For those of you unfamiliar with the spreadsheet where I am tracking this, it is viewable here: Colt Marine Gun Variations

I recently was sent these pics by a buddy, and since it's something I haven't seen before, and thought I would ask the group here if anyone has seen others out in the wild like this.

I'm seeing a couple of differences from the familiar IonBond Blue Box. The laser appears to have burnt the finish leaving a blackened serial and other marks, the "zero" in the serial has a hash mark thru it, and in this particular case, the UID data next to the Data Matrix looks like the font has changed and it is angled up to avoid the slot in the rail.

All of this makes me wonder at what point is the laser engraving being applied?

Here is the gun in question:

For contrast, here are the markings on my IonBond Prototype. Notice the serial does not have a hash, and the marks are not blackened.

Anyone else see the new blackened serial after 18k?
OctopusHighball this related to this post but I do have a question I have an M45A1 that doesn’t show up on you excel list maybe you can help me with.

·
Premium Member
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That would be the Colt Custom Shop version, possibly missing the outer cardboard shipper. Variation #11, possibly Variation #9 on my sheet. Would have the M45A1 roll mark. It looks like it's in really nice condition.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Some Observations on the OP pistol.
The COLT GOVERNMENT MODEL rollmark is very variable in its depth with lighr letters in the middle which is odd. Is the surface of side of the slide that wavy or is the ion bond depth variable?

After looking at the 0. It looks more like the 0 was applied over some other number or marking. There is a vertical line extending downward on the left side from the vertical line. Normal marking to differentiate the 0 from O is a slash and the zero with a horizontal line could easily be mistaken for an eight. So in reality a horizontal line like this would create as much confusion as it would prevent. The line also does not extend beyond the zero like a differentiation mark would. The zeros on the UID lines do not have the same marks which you think they would if it was done to differentiate between a zero an an O

·
Premium Member
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the additional observations!

My strange obsession is trying to narrow down the "when", or in other words, the serial cut-overs. Thread is about a year old now, and I've definitely seen a ton of evidence of the hashed zero over the last year. An additional change I just noticed the other day, the "U.S." as some point became a hollow outline instead of a solid block. This appears to have happened independent of the change over to a hashed zero.

If anyone has others observations, would love to hear them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts