Colt Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just found this forum and am looking forward to being a collector. I have an opportunity to purchase from a private collection a number of colts, actually up to 32, but am looking forward to getting some help as to which ones to buy to start my collection. So many guns, and so little time, and money isn't the object. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Welcome to the forum, we look forward to hearing from you.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
42nut1;

Welcome to the Forum. It'd be fun to see a list and pick and choose on someone else's nickel. I'm sure you'll get all kinds of advice, so of it even good.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Welcome.
If you're looking for opinions you've come to the right place, BUT if you're looking for concensus......Well about the only thing everyone here agrees on is COLT

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
What Colts are calling out to you? Later models, pre-war, semi auto's, single actions, boxed guns, double actions, flat tops, fancy guns, certain caliber, percussions, war time, shotguns, rifles, commemorative, or the antiques (FFL not required for antiques). Oh my.

We can help.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Welcome to the forum, I'm fairly new also and I really like the folks here so far /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

[ QUOTE ]
I have an opportunity to purchase from a private collection a number of colts, actually up to 32, So many guns, , and money isn't the object.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well the way I look at it is you can never have to many guns, and you say you have the money, question answered, buy them all. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info and thought provoking questions. I'm new so don't know a lot about the collection. It was my father=in-laws and my ex is liquidating them, with me helping and getting first choice. The colts are some police positives, pocket positives, official police, Officers Model, three D1426 and three D1425, a diamond back, 2 Pythons(I'm getting these two for sure), a P1650 and a P1640, some National Match Mark IV(These I can't afford I don't think), some pocket models .25, .32 and .380 and 3 woodsman, all a bit different. There are also a couple of Ruger New Model Blackhawks (Think I'll get those too, neat looking weapon), 2 Browning semis, 3 Lugers, some rifles I'll get for sure, and about 75 Smiths to boot, so lots of decisions. Any thoughts on the ones listed above I should pursue would be appreciated, along with which threads to solicit assistance. Thanks everyone for your info.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What is considered an antique without the FFL requirement? A lot of the ones we've got are old, but what exactly meets the requirement of antique would be appreciated. Thanks again

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi new member,
welcome to the forum and best regards from another new member from Germany. Seems the Colts get us together all over the word. Unbelievable to read about your oportunities. Best wishes for a good start with your collection.
Pasche

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
depending on condition any of the colts you listed could be a great addition to your collection. The DA Revolver fans seem to outnumber the others on this forum (I know because I'm one of them), so most will likely "guide" you toward the revolvers. Buy what pleases you and enjoy it.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
[ QUOTE ]
What is considered an antique without the FFL requirement? A lot of the ones we've got are old, but what exactly meets the requirement of antique would be appreciated. Thanks again

[/ QUOTE ]

The ATF defines 'antique' firearms as firearms that were built in or before 1898. The guns you list don't qualify as antique.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Why 1898?

The general idea of what makes an item an antique is when it's at least one hundred years old.

But as the days have ones again shortened in our lifetime and our wives are beginning to wonder what's for dinner at Christmasday another year is going by.

Wouldn't it be reasonable for the collecting community that the ATF would reconsider this date?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts