Colt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello new to this forum and have some questions about a Revolver I have that I will be selling.

It appears to be a Colt 1917 .45 acp

Markings include

Barrel is marked Colt D A 45

also bottom side of barrel has the numbers 272

which match the butt of 272.

There is no US Army Model on the butt. I believe this is a commercial model but

I am not familiar with these guns and would love to know more about it before I sell.

Thanks for all the help, pictures attached.

colt1917.6.jpg
colt1917.5.jpg colt1917.4.jpg colt1917.jpg colt1917.2.jpg

·
Registered
11,360 Posts
The Model 1917 went through Augusta Arsenal at some time and was rebuilt. The butt markings have been removed, and the front sight profile altered. If you look closely under the barrel you can see where the UNITED STATES PROPERTY mark has been removed. The number under the crane on the frame is the Colt serial number. The number removed from the butt would have been the military serial number.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,616 Posts
A further "incorrect" item is the post-War plastic grips.

As above, you have a Colt Model 1917 revolver that's been altered and had markings removed. It appears to have been reblued and the lanyard loop removed from the butt and the hole plugged.
All this lowers the value.

I don't keep up on values, and it'll be difficult to assign a value to a gun that's be so altered.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
Without knowing the condition of the internals, rifling, etc., an appraisal is difficult (and basically worthless). Nevertheless, I would guess no more than $350.

·
Premium Member
6,103 Posts
Agree with the above. If the action locks up fine and doesn't need work, it's a $300-350 shooter and or valuable to someone who wants one for their collection but can't afford a mint condition example for 750-900.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts