Colt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After making a pest of myself the last few days I went, armed with the knowledge I gathered here and my searchs on the Internet, to look at a early '80's SS Python 6".

The seller told me it was unfired and, after a good going over, I believe it's so. There is, however, a light cylinder ring that appears be from dry firing.

So at any rate #K911XX did accompany me home. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Oh yeah, I did snap a couple pics but with this rink-e-dink set up I've got posting pics on a web site just doesn't work. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Thanks to everyone.

·
Registered
991 Posts
The cylinder ring is always more prevalent on stainless steel. Revolvers can come from the factory with a very light ring from testing. Have fun with it.

·
The Searcher
11,101 Posts
If the timing is correct, the cylinder ring is most likely from opening and closing the cylinder / crane and rotating it to drop the bolt in the notch. During the actual firing sequence the bolt does not generally drag on the cylinder between latch areas. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif
Oh, and congratulations /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
[ QUOTE ]
During the actual firing sequence the bolt does not generally drag on the cylinder between latch areas.

[/ QUOTE ]

I must admit that I didn't know that. So much to learn, so little time. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good stuff!!

Thought I'd post an update on the Python.

I put 30 rounds thru the tube today. For comparison I shot my 6" Smith and Wesson 686+. While I really like my 686 I'm sure it goes without saying that the Python was the hands down winner. No sight ajustment nessesary. First round in the black at 10 yds and good groups at 25. Just point and shoot.

There was one category which the 686 won though. That was comfort in shooting. The 686 sports stock Hogue rubber grips while the Python wares the stock wood. I don't plan on shooting the Python a lot so doubt I'll set her up with shooting grips.

After shooting this piece, as my Dad used to say, I can see what all the hub-bub is about. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
115 Posts
Rod,

Why not shoot it a lot? I have a 6" Blued Python made in 1970 in magnificent condition that I shoot the h**l out of. I shoot 148 gr wadcutters loaded in 357 Mag brass over light charges of Unique or Clays. With light loads (which are best for targets anyways) you can shoot it from now until the cows come home and never hurt her. I do take special care when I close the cylinder to rotate it so the bolt lands in one of the lead ins as close to the bolt notch as possible so that I don't score the cylinder however. Best of luck with your new baby.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
[ QUOTE ]
Rod,

Why not shoot it a lot?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm... Okay, you talked me into it (didn't take much talk did it?).

I was thinking about passing it on to my son, but what the blazes, let him buy his own safe queen. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

·
Registered
115 Posts
That's the spirit!! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif,

And since you have a boy that's a reason to buy another one or two.

Seriously though, I just love shooting mine. With it I seem to hit whatever I aim at. There's just something magical about them. And they turn a lot of heads at the range. There seem to be a lot of people you will run into who have formed opinions of them without ever having seen or handled let alone shot one and they are always quite interested to actually meet one in the flesh (or steel I guess in the case of a Python).

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
[ QUOTE ]
And since you have a boy that's a reason to buy another one or two.

[/ QUOTE ]

You just HAD to say it didn't ya??

That's alright, I can quit anytime I want. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

1 - 10 of 10 Posts