Colt Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<font color="brown"> Hi All! Names Ben, I'm 30 and live in Louisiana. I admit I know nothing about Colts, I guess thats why I'm here. A family member gave me the seemingly impossible task of helping him find the other half of his most prized Colt. I posted this info on another forum and was told that maybe someone here could help me in my search, or give advice on what to do next. Sorry, I don't know how to resize the picture. Thanks for your help, this was my original post on the other forum:</font>

I have this Colt (pictured below), it was made in 1923, according to Colt. Its a 1st Gen. SAA .45 revolver. It is one half of a matched pair, that were seperated sometime in the 50's. I know this is a needle in a haystack search, but its worth a try. The other half looks identical to this one pictured and should have a consecutive serial number, this one being 345171. It is nickel plated with engraving all over. Somewhere on the metal frame of the handle, it has the name "BOOTS" engraved on it. The grips are mother of pearl with a steer head/longhorn carved in the right sides, and the eyes of the bulls are rubies.

<font color="blue"> Just to make it perfectly clear, I'm NOT looking for a stolen gun, my guns match wasn't stolen, it was sold in the 50's. I'm just looking to put the set back together. </font>

If for some chance someone has this pistols match, please contact me through the forum or directly at [email protected]

I WILL PAY THE ABSOLUTE TOP DOLLAR FOR THIS PISTOLS MATCH!

Thanks for looking!

Thanks everyone!
Ben

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,823 Posts
You really are on a needle in the haystack quest.

Usually fancy guns wind up in private collections, so unless the owner just happens to see this, AND is even interested in selling, it's not too likely you're going to find it.

It's possible it's no longer even in the USA.

The gun pictured has a less desirable "punch" type of engraving.

Instead of being hand cut with gravers and a small hammer, the decoration was done with ordinarily punches.
This is sometimes known as "Mexican" style engraving, and it was done by primarily less talented people who didn't have the skills to do cut engraving.

The only advice I can offer is to post this on as many gun forums as you can in hopes someone will recognize it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply!

Yeah, I told him not to hold his breath, but I felt obligated to at least try, and this is the only way I know to go about it. Do you think a letter from Colt will yeild any useful information? Also, do you think the engraving was done at the factory or afterwards, same with the grips/stock? Thanks again for looking.

Ben

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
15,823 Posts
A Colt Historical Letter will tell you everything known about the gun up to the moment it was shipped by Colt.

This will include the ship date, WHO it was shipped to, whether it was part of a set, who ordered it, the barrel length, caliber, finish, and any special or custom features.

I strongly doubt that Colt did the embellishment, since they only did true engraving.
I'd tend to think the work and the grips are after-market.

The factory letter costs about $100 and takes several months. However, this will clear up a lot of questions, and adds value to a Colt.

·
Registered
811 Posts
It may help if you contact various "big time" sellers and buyers, many who advertise in periodicals like 'Gun List', especially some of the "old timers" and just maybe you may get one to "recollect" ever seeing this gun or coming across it at some time,never hurts to even run an 'ad' giving the details like you did here. If you get a response, then send them a picture.
Yes, it may be a "needle in the haystack" but certainly NOT impossible, I've seen it done and have done it myself over these past 40 years in the business.
Trouble is many of the old timers I dealt with , are GONE to the "happy hunting grounds". I'm fortunate to belong to the Ohio Gun Collectors Association and can find and depend on so many Members across the country and even over seas.

Good luck with your 'endeavor'...............

1 - 6 of 6 Posts