Colt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy Everyone! I'm a new generation Revolver lover and have started on the path of collecting and shooting some of the finest revolvers of all time. Just fell in love with a SW model 29 a few years ago and just got a 1990 Colt Python for christmas!

Turns out, I am a Colt Guy, love the python WAY more. Ok Enough about me being happy to be a new Colt Owner.

I have read Dferriswheel's awesome and amazing info about timing (Bolt Dropping, Bolt Retraction, and Tight Lock up). The Bolt functions sharply, and the lock up is very tight. My revolver is fine in all those categories.

My issue is that if I pull the hammer back extremely slowly (as if my hands were very girly) 1-2 random cylinders have about a paper width of space to go before the bolt fully locks in. If I pull with NORMAL speeds, it always locks in.

I have been told this is common and that pulling the trigger will bring it to full lock up. So do I need to send her in or will Colt tell me I'm retarded and there's nothing wrong with her.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,995 Posts
If you cock it slowly and it doesn't lock up it's out of time.

Whether to have it repaired is up to you. The gun is safe to shoot as-is, but is not correct. Keep an eye on it to catch it if it starts getting worse.
If it just bugs you knowing it's not correct, you can send it in to Colt for repair. Repair cost would probably not be extremely high, but shipping is usually high because of shipper policies that demand it be shipped next day air.

·
Premium Member
9,500 Posts
Your Python exhibits the typical characteristic of a V-spring Colt with a worn hand. The hand on a V-spring Colt is an item that wears as the gun is used, just like tires wear on a car that is used. The gun is still safe to use as is, but the wear will continue. It will take a long time before the problem becomes severe. Rather than send the gun back to Colt where the hand will be stretched (Colt does not have any new hands I am told), buy a copy of the Kuhnhausen manual and learn how to stretch the hand yourself.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did buy a few reproduction parts from Numrich, If the hand has been stretched once, is fitting a new hand relatively dificult? I figure just rachet fitting and length is important. I am also assuming I caught the issue early as no other parts have issues, is this so?

Thanks again, also I can't believe The Dferriswheel replied to my thread. You sir are a legend, thanks man!

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,995 Posts
Like most Colt parts, fitting a new hand can be more difficult then you might think. There's more to it then just fitting the length.
Every part in the old Colt action is interrelated to other parts and a small change "here" causes unexpected changes over "there".

If you buy the Jerry Kuhnhausen shop manual from Brownell's, you can figure out how to stretch or even fit a new hand since all the information is in the manual. You just have to pay attention and read it very closely.
I doubt that any other parts of your Python would require attention, that usually happens on well used guns or guns that have been abused or gunsmithed by people who don't understand the design.

If in doubt, the easy thing to do is let the real experts at Colt repair it.

The Kuhnhausen shop manual is a great source of Colt info, even if you have no intentions of doing your own work. It's nice just to be able to understand how the design works and how to determine if something isn't working right.

THE COLT DOUBLE-ACTION REVOLVERS - A SHOP MANUAL | Brownells

Brownell's and Midway sell a number of Kuhnhausen shop manuals on some popular guns, These are money very well spent.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, I got the 100 percent flat steel block, the dull flat chisel, and the 8 ounce ball peen hammer. Two questions, I just need to lengthen hand by like .02 of an inch. How Do i know if hand has been lengthened before do I just use the handbooks length of standard factory hand? I am aware I am not suppose to lengthen hand more than once and should not exceed .10 of an inch.

·
*** ColtForum MVP ***
14,995 Posts
Before stretching, check to see if the hand has the correct inward bend. Sometimes the hand is too straight and putting in the correct slight bend can fix the timing problem.

You should be able to tell if the hand has been stretched by impact marks from the flat face chisel in the hand slot.
Make sure the chisel face is slightly rounded and polished to avoid leaving major impact marks.

Also note that sometimes hands just shatter when being stretched. Go easy and test every hammer blow or two to get it just right and not too long.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts